Alex M. White

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other
  • United States

Posted 27 October 2007 - 08:12 PM

I am trying to capture my short film with Final Cut Pro 5.1.4.

The film originated on Super 16mm, was transfered and telecine at AlphaCine Labs in Seattle, WA. The telecine was finished onto DVCAM with a timecode and keyframe burn, since AlphaCine has not upgraded to HD yet.

I am now trying to capture the DVCAM with a Sony DSR-11. I have tried setting the Capture Preset at both 24 and 23.98 fps, as well as the Device Control Preset. Regardless of settings, it appears that frames are being dropped when playing back the keyframes (example: it will run as so - A1, B2, {INTERLACED C}, D3, etc.,).

I thought having an editing timebase of either 23.98 or 24 would be better than 29.97, but all of the above all drop frames and are horribly interlaced. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Alex

Below is a sequence of "5 frames"
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

#2 Doug Austin

Doug Austin

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 February 2008 - 12:51 PM

I am trying to capture my short film with Final Cut Pro 5.1.4.

The film originated on Super 16mm, was transfered and telecine at AlphaCine Labs in Seattle, WA. The telecine was finished onto DVCAM with a timecode and keyframe burn, since AlphaCine has not upgraded to HD yet.

I am now trying to capture the DVCAM with a Sony DSR-11. I have tried setting the Capture Preset at both 24 and 23.98 fps, as well as the Device Control Preset. Regardless of settings, it appears that frames are being dropped when playing back the keyframes (example: it will run as so - A1, B2, {INTERLACED C}, D3, etc.,).

I thought having an editing timebase of either 23.98 or 24 would be better than 29.97, but all of the above all drop frames and are horribly interlaced. How do I fix this?

Thanks,
Alex

Below is a sequence of "5 frames"
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

My only guess is that they didnt use the proper pulldown when recording it to the DV Cam tape. The only way (to my knowledge) to get an interlaced C frame is when the standard pulldown is applied. The advanced pulldown is used specifically so the original 24 frames can all be recovered. I'd contact them to see what pulldown they used when they transferred it.

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Visual Products

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Technodolly

The Slider

CineTape

Paralinx LLC