4 replies to this topic

#1 Lars Zemskih

Lars Zemskih
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 October 2007 - 10:18 PM

What are the major differences between the original Gold and GII?

I am in need of a detailed photo of Panaflex Gold, not the GII, but the first Gold model. Everywhere I look it seems to be only GII. If anyone could point me somewhere online or have a picture they could share I would really appreciate that.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:23 AM

The only difference I can find between the Gold and the Gold II is the Gold II is said to have a brighter viewing system. I know it's vague but it's all I can find on the subject. As for finding a photo, I don't know if you'll have much luck. It's not like there are a bunch on the used market or anything. In fact, if the viewing system is the only difference, there are probably a bunch of Gold IIs that are converted Golds.

#3 Lars Zemskih

Lars Zemskih
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 October 2007 - 11:20 AM

The only difference I can find between the Gold and the Gold II is the Gold II is said to have a brighter viewing system. I know it's vague but it's all I can find on the subject. As for finding a photo, I don't know if you'll have much luck. It's not like there are a bunch on the used market or anything. In fact, if the viewing system is the only difference, there are probably a bunch of Gold IIs that are converted Golds.

Where exactly did you look the difference up? It's weird that the brighter viewing system would be the only difference as GII came couple of years later, there must have been something else, no?

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

I looked several places and the only one that mentioned anything about the differences was a wikipedia article, so I wouldn't count on it too much.

Actually the fact that they called it the Gold II and not something else kind of says to me very minor changes.

#5 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Most people simply refer to it as the Gold, even when they're referring to a GII. It seems to me that there isn't much difference at all. And I think Chris is probably right about many GII's being converted Golds.

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Visual Products