#1 Dan Salzmann

Dan Salzmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Paris, France

Posted 31 October 2007 - 02:43 PM

Anyone know of any tech info on the shooting of this Beatles film?
I seem to recall seeing some photos of Arri 2B's but they would only have been practical for the MOS stuff.
I like the mobility of the camera and the off the cuffness of it and would like to know more about what they were using in terms of gear.
Anyone?

#2 Babar Khan

Babar Khan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:25 AM

According to the Arri 90th Anniversary book, it was shot with Arri IIBs.

Anyone know of any tech info on the shooting of this Beatles film?
I seem to recall seeing some photos of Arri 2B's but they would only have been practical for the MOS stuff.
I like the mobility of the camera and the off the cuffness of it and would like to know more about what they were using in terms of gear.
Anyone?

#3 GeorgeSelinsky

GeorgeSelinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:11 AM

A lot of Arri II work there for the handheld, but also I saw a few Mitchells in some of the footage. The entire train sequence was shot with flatbase Arri II's and post dubbed. They had mag dubbers in one of the train cars to record the temp track, these are still the pre-Nagra days. "Who's that little old man? He belongs to Paul..."

#4 GeorgeSelinsky

GeorgeSelinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:31 AM

P.S. Terrific B&W verite cinematography. Makes you think what a pity that B&W features have been made nearly extinct. What I'd give to shoot my next feature entirely on 5222, would it not be for the hard boiled attitudes of financers and distributors.

#5 Clément Brewer

Clément Brewer

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Student

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:56 AM

Here's a very interesting article from AC on Gilbert Taylor's career, you'll find precious info on "the fab four flick".

http://www.theasc.co...ylor/index.html

#6 Tim Partridge

Tim Partridge
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

A lot of Arri II work there for the handheld, but also I saw a few Mitchells in some of the footage. The entire train sequence was shot with flatbase Arri II's and post dubbed. They had mag dubbers in one of the train cars to record the temp track, these are still the pre-Nagra days. "Who's that little old man? He belongs to Paul..."

I'm pretty sure the Mitchell is visible on one of the behind the scenes documentaries on the DVD.

Dan,

If you haven't already, get the DVD. There are good, individual, interview segments with Gil Taylor and also Paul Wilson, who was the B camera operator on the film (his pre Derek Meddings days). Very enlightening, in that Lester's "auteur" styling of the picture, by his own admission, was dictated more or less entirely by practical concerns/solutions.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Opal

The Slider