#1 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 31 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

So someone said that the original wild motor on my 1M Konvas won't work well for ADR work if I dub the dialogue on because the speed will be constantly changing due to the non-crystal sync.
What's the big deal really? I plan on editing on final cut so can't I just adjust it then..it seems simple enough.

Why would it be so hard?

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 31 October 2007 - 09:37 PM

...........Why would it be so hard?

Assume your motor is running 10% slow from 24fps, a reasonable error for a wild motor. In ADR the picture will be playing back on a sync projector or video screen and therefore what took 20 seconds in the original performance will playback in 18 seconds. That is enough of a pacing change to throw some actors off. They won't necessarily be able to verbalize what's bothering them but they may have trouble recreating the performance. Also, any scratch dialogue track recorded during filming also won't match the picture playback timing so the advantage of having a scratch track to cue the actor has now flown out the window.

Get a sync motor and ALL of the above problems go away - everything matches and plays back with the original timing.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:10 AM

Niki, An 15EPS is not a "wild" motor, it's a stabilized motor at 24 and 25 FPS which will be fine for ADR. The 'wild' motor is the 6 volt rheostat motor on the earlier Konvas KSR-1. iF YOU HAVE A 15EPS, you have a 1m. Newer model. I don't think Richie is familiar with Commiecams and I made the mistake of assuming you had the older Knovas. If you're worried about it shoot 200 to 400 ft and test it out. I think you'll find it'll work fine especially if you follow my script advice and keep the dialog to a minimum. Just a suggestion. B)

#4 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:17 AM

So someone said that the original wild motor on my 1M Konvas won't work well for ADR work if I dub the dialogue on because the speed will be constantly changing due to the non-crystal sync.

15EPSS motor of Konvas-1M ( 1KSR-1M ) Konvas-2M ( 1KSR-2M ) have analog system of speed stabilization.
This is motor have power unit with electronic voltage Step-UP converter and system of speed stabilization of motors.
The power unit have accuracy of speed at 24 fps +/- 2.5% and +/- 4% on all other speeds.
If you need, you can set of other value of speed ( change 24 fps on 25 fps or other ).
The many russian film ( 1970..1990 ) shooted with Konvas cameras and 15EPSS motors and this film don't have problem with synchronization of picture and sound.

The crystal sync speed motors have accuracy of speed better +/- 0.01%.
Yes,of course, the electrical motor with crystal sync speed better, but, 15EPSS motor can be use too.

The other problem of speed stabilization can be from side of condition of mechanism of camera and film magazine.
If the mechanism will have big gaps between parts, the system of speed stabilization can go "racing of control " and you will have different density of images on film.
This can be " effect of third frame " or " effect of fifth frame ". The footage have every " third ( fifth) frames with different density.
That's why, the service of camera important for high quality footages

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:18 AM

Niki, An 15EPS is not a "wild" motor, it's a stabilized motor at 24 and 25 FPS which will be fine for ADR. B)

Aha! Equivalent to the Arri 2 constant speed motor, that would be a different case. Ah, you Commiecam freaks are all knowing. :)

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

Say what you like about the ol' CCCP, They did have a knack for practical and rugged if not sophisticated mechanical design. That of course in no way offsets the 25 million deaths in Stalin's "purges" or the 30 year threat of nuclear annihilation......but it is something. B)

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine