#1 Jonathan Cheek

Jonathan Cheek

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:27 PM

hi im shooting a project with 4 arri 2k juniors and 2 arri 1k babies. we have one standard outlet with two plugs on the set, s 200w generator and a 100w generator. would I be safe using this set up. I know there are generators out there specifcally designed for this type of work, but that is not in our buget for rental. any sugestions?

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 November 2007 - 05:39 PM

Which light did you want to plug into the 100W generator, the 2,000W light or the 1,000W light? ;)

I think something's wrong here though, I've never heard of a 200 or 100W genny -- do you mean 2,000 and 1,000 watts, respectively?

The formula is simple, volts x amps = watts. A 2,000W light running on 120v AC power draws 16.7 amps, so you need a circuit that can hold that many amps and a power supply that can provide that many watts -- for one 2K light. Apply that formula for each light and that's how much power each unit will need.

The two sockets on the same standard house outlet will be on the same circuit, so even if that circuit is 20 amps (not 15) and nothing else is running elsewhere on the same circuit, that means you can only safely run one 2K light on it without tripping the breaker.

CineLab

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

The Slider