#1 Joseph Nesbitt

Joseph Nesbitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Student
  • Boston Mass

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:51 PM

I was reading a forum on dvx user and I never quite understood how to do this, if anyone can remember an on the lot episode where one of the kids did theis effect where he stopped time, but two people could still move around. Now so far I know your saying that this is the wrong place for this forum but I don't think so.... The contestant who made the film had a computer with him the whole time, after one of the takes he put the footage onto the computer and opened up a program that appeared to be final cut pro, and within the program managed to get this effect and to make it possible, threw editing. Obviously from this description you can tell I'm a little confused, can anyone explain how this was done step by step, and how this is done with FCP?

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 01 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

Just because he opened up FCP doesn't mean he completed the effect with only that application. FCP may have just been the finishing program, and he may have used it only to "rough in" or preview the effect on set. There's a lot they don't show you "On The Lot."

As for the effect itself, it's been pretty well documented. Depending on the precise shot you'd use a combination composites and/or split screens. For the comp you could use green screen or even a difference matte. There's only so many ways to integrate material from different shots.

Tai Audio

Opal

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Abel Cine

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS