#1 Devin Ermoian

Devin Ermoian

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 November 2007 - 09:15 AM

Hello! I am a student, and amateur filmmaker. I am a senior in high school and plan on majoring in Film next year. I have a recently purchased Canon GL-2 which i have been using for some shorts. I want to take my filmmaking to the next level though. I want to be able to manipulate my shots to get a unique looks that sets the mood/tone of the film. My equipment is pretty limited though. All i have is the GL-2. No lighting equipment, no matte box, filters, etc.

I am looking to purchase some things in the somewhat near future. My question is this: To get the most control over my image to make it looks as professional as possible should i purchase a matte box and 4X4 filters, screw in filters, or Software with virtual filters such as "Magic Bullet" or "Tiffen Dfx"?

Also any additional tips are welcome, such as lighting, exposure, etc.

Thanks a lot!

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

You can achieve a lot of looks through fiddling 'round with FCP and color correction, especially in studio 2.
MiniDV is kinda limited though.
As for purchases, look for future proof things.
Matte boxes and filters (4x4) are $$ and won't suit every shoot. Think about getting lights. I guarantee you that'll be the MOST needed thing on most student shoots in college.
Maybe wait and see what you want to be in film? i.e. an editor wouldn't need a matte box just as a DP wouldn't need to DV deck (per say).
A lot of the kids I knew/know in film school jumped in without knowing what they wanted to do. Now their equipment gathers dust. Not a good thing IMHO.

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Technodolly