4 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

Does anyone know where I could purchase a letterbox matte for my mattebox to create the 1.85:1 aspect ratio on a regular 16mm image? Is such a thing even made?

Thanks.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:35 AM

You're not talking about a mattebox hard matte, which won't produce a sharp edge, you're talking about a 16mm camera gate cut to 1.85 (since your camera probably doesn't have a hard matte slot in the gate). I haven't heard of any; it would probably have to be made special since it doesn't involve filing out a gate, but making a gate smaller vertically.

I assume the only reason you'd want this is to be able to make a 16mm contact print for projection with a built-in 1.85 matte.

It seems it would be possible to "burn in" a black matte onto a print using some sort of A-B roll (a negative with a solid rectangle with a clear border)?

#3 Dirk DeJonghe

Dirk DeJonghe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Kortrijk,Belgium

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:06 AM

David is right,

the way to add a mask is to expose an B-roll with a black rectangle on transparent stock. We have several versions and can make custom sizes on demand.
Is is also needed on 16 to 35mm optical blow up in order to have black framelines on the positive or interpositive stock.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:39 PM

Does anyone know where I could purchase a letterbox matte for my mattebox to create the 1.85:1 aspect ratio on a regular 16mm image? Is such a thing even made?

Thanks.

Bill,

You're ARRI mattebox for your Arriflex 16S does have a slot for a hard matte, but ARRI never made a 1.85:1 matte for it. And what David talked about will come in to play if you try to make a matte, it will be soft.

You can still shoot 16:9 or 1.85:1 with your 16S by just taping the ground glass (you can see how here) and then shooting a framing chart at the beginning of the first roll on your project in either 16:9 or 1.85:1, depending on which you want to shoot.

Then the telecinist can frame off that first footage. Or if you want to optically blow up the image, do what David described above.

-Tim

#5 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

Bill,

You're ARRI mattebox for your Arriflex 16S does have a slot for a hard matte, but ARRI never made a 1.85:1 matte for it. And what David talked about will come in to play if you try to make a matte, it will be soft.

You can still shoot 16:9 or 1.85:1 with your 16S by just taping the ground glass (you can see how here) and then shooting a framing chart at the beginning of the first roll on your project in either 16:9 or 1.85:1, depending on which you want to shoot.

Then the telecinist can frame off that first footage. Or if you want to optically blow up the image, do what David described above.

-Tim

Thanks a lot for the info, guys.

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc