#1 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Dose anyone know where I can find an Index for the American Cinematographer magazine articals. Like a PDF or Excel spreadsheet, I know the website has a listing as well as the December issue of each year but I was looking for something more searchable, Where I can type in the movie name and the issue pops up.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:45 PM

They are working on one that someday will be on the ASC website.

I had to write my own index for the 1970's issues and that was a lot of work, so I didn't bother to tackle the later ones (which luckily have the major titles written on the spine, so I can do a rough search of the post-1983 issues that way, though you don't know what the short articles were.)

But if someone wants to know whether there was an article on a specific movie or DP in the 1970's, ask me and I'll look it up.

#3 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:29 PM

They are working on one that someday will be on the ASC website.

I had to write my own index for the 1970's issues and that was a lot of work, so I didn't bother to tackle the later ones (which luckily have the major titles written on the spine, so I can do a rough search of the post-1983 issues that way, though you don't know what the short articles were.)

But if someone wants to know whether there was an article on a specific movie or DP in the 1970's, ask me and I'll look it up.

Thanks David, I pretty much have '96 to present and just bought '88-95 and a few dozen from the early 80's, Just out of curiousity what did you use for your index? Acrobat Pro, Excel, Word ect.?

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 November 2007 - 12:08 AM

Thanks David, I pretty much have '96 to present and just bought '88-95 and a few dozen from the early 80's, Just out of curiousity what did you use for your index? Acrobat Pro, Excel, Word ect.?

It was Filemaker I think, but it's been awhile, I haven't opened up the file in a long time, I just flip though my print-out. It's alphabetical by title of movie or subject, and the DP is the next column.

#5 William A Chapman Jr

William A Chapman Jr
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Other
  • Oly, WA, U.S.A

Posted 03 November 2007 - 02:09 AM

It was Filemaker I think, but it's been awhile, I haven't opened up the file in a long time, I just flip though my print-out. It's alphabetical by title of movie or subject, and the DP is the next column.

Thanks again David you have been a big help, Have a great Weekend!!

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Visual Products

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

The Slider