#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:34 AM

Being that it's Anton Corbijn's first feature film, I had some high expectations for the photography of this film. I was disappointed with some aspects, but quite impressed with the majority of the film. Only Corbijn could direct this film about the post-punk/new wave Joy Division, and capture it in such raw detail that nearly every scene felt legitimate to the story and the demise of Ian Curtis.

What I liked about the cinematography was that it wasn't over stylized. I'm sure it would have been very easy to go noir-ish with the lighting and get quite dramatic. But everything seemed very well motivated and at times, perhaps, refreshingly unprofessional. And I mean scenes where the walls and the actors were quite overexposed, creating a very flat image. But the framing and composition of nearly every shot was gorgeous and showed a great eye in cinematographer Martin Ruhe.

If you're a hardcore music fan, and a Joy Division or New Order fan, you'll definitely love this film. And if non-fans can sense the importance of these artists and the great loss that happened, than I'm sure it'll effect a lot of people out there.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:42 AM

Just one more thing:

My only pet peeve? Is that this film, shot in color than converted to b&w was printed to a color stock because according to AC Magazine, b&w print stock is too expensive. It looked quite bad. It looked like what I would call "monogreen"!

#3 Babar Khan

Babar Khan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Director

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:15 AM

I just saw the film last night too and I agree - every composition was gorgeous which I appreciated. I thought the lighting was weak for a lot of the film though... and the decision to print on the colour stock... there were a lot of variations in the print I saw going from magenta to neutral to green at times - disappointing and distracting. Kind of wish they had shot on 5231 or 5222, or at least printed on B&W stock so there would be no colour shift.

#4 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:42 AM

I must have seen a good print because I didn't notice any tinting. I thought the photography pretty good, it fit the story and the music very well. The lighting progression was a nice touch. As mentioned, the composition was its strongest point.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:29 AM

I must have seen a good print because I didn't notice any tinting. I thought the photography pretty good, it fit the story and the music very well. The lighting progression was a nice touch. As mentioned, the composition was its strongest point.

Did you see it at the Clay Theatre? Nearly everything that basically in the middle grey range was quite green :/ Of course, this is only an issue with print stock used, not the film itself.

#6 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:35 AM

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=24532

which leads to:

http://www.cinematog...showtopic=23014

;)

#7 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:38 AM

Sooooo 3 months ago Nick, ha ha

It'd be nice if UK films showed up here in the US quicker. They're usually a huge hit when given a proper release.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 04 November 2007 - 02:38 AM.

#8 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:55 AM

Yeah, I saw it at the Clay. Hmmm, I don't remember any tinting but I could have just been too focused on the story... probably a good thing. I'll have to go see it again.

#9 Nick Mulder

Nick Mulder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1023 posts
  • Other
  • Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 04 November 2007 - 03:47 AM

Sooooo 3 months ago Nick, ha ha

It'd be nice if UK films showed up here in the US quicker. They're usually a huge hit when given a proper release.

I was pipped at the post with a thread re. this film also ! :P

... it was in the Auckland International Film Fest that on occasion gets films pretty fresh off the boat though.

Another recommendation is 'Tears of The Black Tiger' - I hear it only was released in the US recently, yet we had it about 3 years or so ago ...

Other oddities were that both Sunshine and Transformers the movie appeared to be released here in NZ before the US - go figure.

#10 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:29 AM

'Tears of The Black Tiger' was at the local theatre here in San Fran for about a week, then it was swiftly released on DVD, which is how I saw it :/ A fun film that was :)

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Opal

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc