Photo

Matching Lomo OCT-19 and OCT-18 anamorphics?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 04 November 2007 - 02:41 AM

I am planning on using both oct-19 and oct-18 amamorphics in my upcoming feature, "Blood Moon Rising'. The vintage, early 70's, square front anamorphic, Oct-18s will be used on my Knovas KSR-1 with 200ft loads for steadicam shots at 16 FPS projected back at 24 FPS for my werewolf's POV as he runs across the dunes and as a stop motion animation camera using the single frame animation crank handle for some transformation and wound healing SFX on the werewolf sequences. It will probably also be used for some animation FX I have in mind for the opening titles. I'm also thinking about using the KSR-1 as the second unit camera and B cam on some action and complicated sequences (in long shots). The A camera will be my Kinor 35C with mid 90s Lomo round-front anamorphics.

I do not plan on rack-focusing the Konvas at all (of course one never knows exactly what will actually happen until you get on set but being aware of the breathing problems with Lomo square front anamorphic lenses, there would have to be a PRETTY compelling reason for me to change my initial thinking on this). As I said before, the oct-18 lenses are from the early 70's and the square front anamorphic elements are an attachment that is design to fit over the 35, 50 and 75mm lenses which are included in the kit.

I'm a bit concern that there may be a SIGNIFICANT difference in the look of these 2 styles of anamorphics that might cause problems in cutting or that the color of the lenses may be significantly different due to the coating changes over the 20 odd years between the manufacturing runs of the 2 types. We will be processing all the film in-house and editing with work prints made and processed in-house as well. I may have the negative cut and answer print done at a commercial lab and could possibly have the print color corrected at that time though I don't want a DI on this film due to budgetary reasons. Are there any thoughts on using these 2 radically different designs of Lomo lenses in the same sequences? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 04 November 2007 - 02:45 AM.

#2 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 04 November 2007 - 01:19 PM

I am planning on using both oct-19 and oct-18 amamorphics in my upcoming feature, "Blood Moon Rising'. The vintage, early 70's, square front anamorphic, Oct-18s will be used on my Knovas KSR-1 with 200ft loads for steadicam shots at 16 FPS projected back at 24 FPS for my werewolf's POV as he runs across the dunes and as a stop motion animation camera using the single frame animation crank handle for some transformation and wound healing SFX on the werewolf sequences. It will probably also be used for some animation FX I have in mind for the opening titles. I'm also thinking about using the KSR-1 as the second unit camera and B cam on some action and complicated sequences (in long shots). The A camera will be my Kinor 35C with mid 90s Lomo round-front anamorphics.

I do not plan on rack-focusing the Konvas at all (of course one never knows exactly what will actually happen until you get on set but being aware of the breathing problems with Lomo square front anamorphic lenses, there would have to be a PRETTY compelling reason for me to change my initial thinking on this). As I said before, the oct-18 lenses are from the early 70's and the square front anamorphic elements are an attachment that is design to fit over the 35, 50 and 75mm lenses which are included in the kit.

I'm a bit concern that there may be a SIGNIFICANT difference in the look of these 2 styles of anamorphics that might cause problems in cutting or that the color of the lenses may be significantly different due to the coating changes over the 20 odd years between the manufacturing runs of the 2 types. We will be processing all the film in-house and editing with work prints made and processed in-house as well. I may have the negative cut and answer print done at a commercial lab and could possibly have the print color corrected at that time though I don't want a DI on this film due to budgetary reasons. Are there any thoughts on using these 2 radically different designs of Lomo lenses in the same sequences? B)

At first, all lenses must be serviced, tested and adjusted.
OST-18 lenses have mono block design of body or have two bodies ( front anamorphic attachment and rear spherical lens ).
If you have two body versions of lenses ( 35 NAS), i recommend to use of hard support, because, the any parts movement can influence of final sharpness of image.
The NAS lenses and BAS square front glass can have a some soft image from round front lenses ( we told about adjusted lenses ).
About color difference, i don't hear about high discrepancy, all must be OK.
Any case, you need test of quality of every lens by shoot of test footages or single shoots.

I don't know, but, Konvas-2M with crystal sync speed motor and h OST-19 lenses can be good " B" camera and you can use of one set of lenses for Kinor-35C and Konvas-2M.
Any case, if you have KSR-1 as " B" camera, can be use too.

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:09 AM

Thanks for the information, Olex. Has anyone else ever used the square fronts with the OCT-18 mounts?

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

Hi Cap'n,

To check color match you can shine a known source through a lens onto a color meter's sensor and compare the Mired shift between different lenses. I've done that with my Cooke SPII/III's. And as folklore has it, an SPII 75mm is almost exactly an 85 filter.

Using a color meter enables you to figure out exactly what Cal Color filter(s) you need to correct all your lenses to match.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Hal, good to know. Dude, I JUST missed out on TWO 35mm projectors. One went lust a little too high and the second, I tried the "one click" bid instead of my usual method and was out bid by 5 bucks-AAAAAGGGGGGHHHH :angry: .....Oh well, what're you gonna do. eh? B)

CineLab

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Opal