#1 G McMahon

G McMahon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:20 PM

Hello all,

Just wanting to know what people use to stop fogging in the eyepiece from sweat/hot forehead or rainy weather.

I am in Australia, so some products that you may use may go under a different name, so a brief description or the type of retail outlet where you would find it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:23 PM

That's exactly what eyepiece heaters are for. Other than that, I've been told that it's fine to use anti-fog solutions on eyepiece optics.

#3 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:06 AM

Hello all,

Just wanting to know what people use to stop fogging in the eyepiece from sweat/hot forehead or rainy weather.

I am in Australia, so some products that you may use may go under a different name, so a brief description or the type of retail outlet where you would find it would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Hello Mr G.....

Are you film or video ? Heated viewfinders or electrostatic viewfinders on a film camera are mostly standard and can be retrofitted. If it's a video camera then it's a bit harder. I never bother with antifog or anything, but find if I hold my eye a few mm's away from actual contact that it allows a bit of air flow and usually clears the fog. That's assuming the camera is actually acclimatised to the environment you're shooting in...

JB

#4 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 November 2007 - 01:37 AM

Also, if you're not already, an eyepiece chamois helps a lot by making sure the stupid rubber doesn't make a seal to your eye.

#5 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 07 November 2007 - 04:30 AM

I never bother with antifog or anything, but find if I hold my eye a few mm's away from actual contact that it allows a bit of air flow and usually clears the fog. That's assuming the camera is actually acclimatised to the environment you're shooting in...

Just to be clear, that last part is only for video cameras. Not an option with film cameras while rolling.

Visual Products

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Technodolly

CineLab