Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:08 AM

Dear all,

Just for curiosity, here are a video using the film I made myself and applied to acetate base (cleared by brushing and fixing old ektachorme commercial film - brushed CLEAN).

Some of the emulsion was made from AgNO3 and the part with the dog (the hardest to see) was made by:

1. Silver extraction by electrolysis of old C41 blix and BW fixer
2. Reaction w/ nitric acid (all analytical grade) with pH control.

Then: AgNO3...

This is what I called ECO-Ogly...

The other one I baptised as Ogly 10 (iso 10 as I rated as iso 20 but it got underexposed)

Anyway, here is the video:

#2 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:52 AM

Rich,
I think that it is seriously incredible that you managed to do this. Very pioneering stuff, in the historical sense. That theres an image at all is amazing. Where did you telecine this? Were chunks flying off it?Nice job. I guess now you have to develop your own backing and print stock.

#3 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:05 AM

So that's what people do for fun in Canberra :)
Seriously - well done. I love stuff like that.
The process itself sounds fascinating, but the footage looks great.

#4 John Carson McCarthy

John Carson McCarthy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

This looks fantastic, well done.
I'd be intrested in hearing more about the entire process of how you did it.

#5 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

Yes Michael, the lack of options in Canberra make people to try to re-invent the wheel... But I am living in Stockholm now... but I am still aiming for a color stock (with green sens emulsion in one side and red in the other (both are off course BW, the only difference is that they are only sensitive for a certain spectrum then after developing, tone them). But before, I wanna build a coating machine because painting it with a brush in the dark sucks.

The film after fixing and harding is quite resistant. It was telecined at the colorlab (US). It was a problem though during filming... I was in brazil and the emulsion was melting all the time... then I had to keep the magazine in a cooler...

And John, I'll be writing an article to the small format magazine and I can send you a copy (once it's ready), if you want... Cheers!

#6 Ralph Tabith

Ralph Tabith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • UK

Posted 08 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

i have to second whats been said, it looks beautiful. Especially the part it looks cracked like dry earth!

#7 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Well done Richardson.

This looks amazingly like the surviving footage of The Story of the Kelly Gang (1906) the world's first feature film, of which only a few minutes survive, but were recently restored by the National Film and Sound Archive . . . in Canberra.

You seem to have done well not only to do this, but to do it while moving around between Canberra, Stockholm and Brazil. You move around a lot - perhaps you are on the run like Ned Kelly :lol::rolleyes:

#8 John Carson McCarthy

John Carson McCarthy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Student

Posted 09 November 2007 - 08:28 AM

Richard,
I would love to get a copy of the article whenever it in finished. Thanks.

#9 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:17 PM

Well done Richardson.

This looks amazingly like the surviving footage of The Story of the Kelly Gang (1906) the world's first feature film, of which only a few minutes survive, but were recently restored by the National Film and Sound Archive . . . in Canberra.

You seem to have done well not only to do this, but to do it while moving around between Canberra, Stockholm and Brazil. You move around a lot - perhaps you are on the run like Ned Kelly :lol::rolleyes:

i heard they were screening it and i suffered heaps for having missing it. Maybe I should get my metal chest and bucket with eye holes for infringing commercial film-making laws... Thanks for the comments! and the running in and out of countries is more related to my wife than me... Though I think stockholm is more film-friendly than canberra.

#10 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

... but I am still aiming for a color stock (with green sens emulsion in one side and red in the other (both are off course BW, the only difference is that they are only sensitive for a certain spectrum then after developing, tone them).

That sounds like a process that Lynn Trimble described using in the 1920's and 30's. Ferric ferrocyanide and potassium ferrocyanide were the colors, IIRC. Part of the process involved floating the film on top of some of the solutions, so as to affect only one side.

Another thing you might want to look at is Lumiere's Autochrome process.

Congratulations on getting an image on home made film. In a sense, you're the only real film maker out there. ;-)

-- J.S.

Visual Products

Tai Audio

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Opal

CineLab

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery