Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:46 AM

Hi all,

I had some 16mm footage transfered to pal dvcam and i notice that during scenes of movement there were lines around the subjects that disappear once the scene starts.

Posted Image
look for example at the blouse.

I have used a normal cheap home camcorder (sony) to capture the images to the computer (using linux kino) and I am editing in cinelerra.

My question is, if I use a proper dvcam deck, would the quality be better? Many thanks!,

Edited by Richardson Leao, 10 November 2007 - 05:47 AM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 November 2007 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

First of all your image is too small to evaluate - you need to post a full resolution frame with little or no compression.

Secondly, I have found the firewire and DV handling on Linux to be very unreliable and buggy, and you may be having trouble there - particularly as you are in PAL world and the back-bedroom guys who write for Linux are invariably Americans. Have you tried capturing on more professionally-written software?

Phil

#3 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

First of all your image is too small to evaluate - you need to post a full resolution frame with little or no compression.

Secondly, I have found the firewire and DV handling on Linux to be very unreliable and buggy, and you may be having trouble there - particularly as you are in PAL world and the back-bedroom guys who write for Linux are invariably Americans. Have you tried capturing on more professionally-written software?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I am shocked! I used cinelerra before to edit NTSC and it was really good. In fact, I don't think it's cinerella's fault, but the ieee interface in linux (and maybe kino). I just captured the video with the same camera (sony dcr-hc21e) and adobe premiere in a friend's comp. and it looks fabulous (even parts I thought was fogged turned out to be good).

thank you!

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11938 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:28 PM

Hi,

Bah - you know, I was assuming it wouldn't be a software problem and that I was going to proven to be a curmudgeon. It's sometimes so disagreeable to be proven right.

Still, you should submit your results to the Kino people, so they can look into it and perhaps make a fix (although I shouldn't hold your breath).

Phil

#5 Fred Graffigne

Fred Graffigne
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hi,

looks like interlacing problems. Perhaps your ILink config is faulty, try and change it (if possible in capture software) from Top to bottom field first. Please also note that standard DV signal are opposite fields in PAL and NTSC format, it could be a reason to misjudge.

Fred.

Edited by Fred Graffigne, 19 November 2007 - 06:13 PM.

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc