#1 Katie Baddeley

Katie Baddeley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:56 AM

I have recently purchased these cameras and was wondering whether anybody could direct me to some instruction manuals for them? Also I have a roll of Kodachrome 40 (movie film type A) film would this work in both the cameras?

Thanks

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hello Katie, welcome to Cinematography.com.

You will find an excellent resource for manuals on the website of our very own forum member Bjarne Eldhuset here.
You will find the 1014 there.

The K-40 is the film stock all Super 8 cameras were essentially constructed in mind with, so it will work very well. However, the problem is ? as you might know ? that Kodak has ceased pre-paid developing/processing of the film. In order to get it developed, you will have to send it to Dwayne's Film Lab in Kansas, US (I am assuming you are based in the US).

On the side of the paper packaging, you will find an expiry date as a 'month/year' descriptive. What does it say and do you know anything about the way the film was stored from the seller? This matters because the K-40 was discontinued a while ago, and film needs to be stored in cool conditions not to expiry as rapidly as the expiry date suggests. If the film was stored for one or two years at room temperature beyond the expiry date, you will get very inferior image quality. Good enough for a test film to check out if the purchased gear works well, but not something you would want to film a cinematographic masterpiece with.

Should you want to get an overview of what is currently going on re. the Super 8 format, what can be done with it and how it will develop, have a look at this thread here which summarizes this sub-forum's knowledge as much as possible.
The second post in that thread links to key resources such as Alessandro Machi's websites, Giles Perkins' overview of currently available film materials, and Chris Cottrill's Super 8 Today magazine.

Feel free to come back should further question marks arise on the horizon.

Edited by Michael Lehnert, 10 November 2007 - 09:36 AM.

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc