Kodak Vision2 question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:31 AM

Dear filmmakers,
I got some leftover Kodak Vision2 250D -some short ends. They have been treated by professionals, put out of the Mags in summer 2005 and always kept inside a fridge since that time. I saw this fridge -it is not wet, as there are no other things (like butter, Juice, milk, chesse...), but only film rolls. Do you think it is possible to use these shortends? I wand to shoot with them in January or February....
Thanks for your advice in advance.
Best regards,
OLe

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:55 AM

Dear filmmakers,
I got some leftover Kodak Vision2 250D -some short ends. They have been treated by professionals, put out of the Mags in summer 2005 and always kept inside a fridge since that time. I saw this fridge -it is not wet, as there are no other things (like butter, Juice, milk, chesse...), but only film rolls. Do you think it is possible to use these shortends? I wand to shoot with them in January or February....
Thanks for your advice in advance.
Best regards,
OLe

Hi Ole,

Should be fine, just overexpose by 1 stop.

I recently used some 4 year old 500 Eterna for a pop video, I overexposed it by a stop, it was quite usable but not perfect.

Stephen

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 November 2007 - 12:38 PM

I recently used some 4 year old 500 Eterna for a pop video, I overexposed it by a stop, it was quite usable but not perfect.

Stephen

Do you know under what conditions the Eterna 500 stock was stored? What deficiencies have you found, if any?
Thanks.

#4 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:17 PM

Do you know under what conditions the Eterna 500 stock was stored? What deficiencies have you found, if any?
Thanks.

Hi,

The stock had been stored at FUJI. It was returned after a feature, they held it for the customer as it had traveled by air.

Grain was fairly obvious! High speed stocks do seem to degrade after 2 years, slower stocks can last a lot longer. I used some 5 year old 800T once, it looked like a snow storm!

Here are some frame grabs, this was 35mm shot with my Ultracam & Zeiss Superspeeds between T1.4 & T2.5
Total budget for the clip was $2000 for processing & 1 light on a Spirit.

Attached Images

• pool.jpg
  • bathroom.jpg
  • cave1.jpg

#5 Ole Dost

Ole Dost
  • Guests

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for your helpful answers!
Best regards,
Ole

#6 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:51 PM

Hi,

The stock had been stored at FUJI. It was returned after a feature, they held it for the customer as it had traveled by air.

Grain was fairly obvious! High speed stocks do seem to degrade after 2 years, slower stocks can last a lot longer. I used some 5 year old 800T once, it looked like a snow storm!

Here are some frame grabs, this was 35mm shot with my Ultracam & Zeiss Superspeeds between T1.4 & T2.5
Total budget for the clip was $2000 for processing & 1 light on a Spirit.

It looks good. The top shot especially has a real nice balance between light and shadow, with all the detail intact. Is that unaugmented sunlight with an 85?
Thanks.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

It looks good. The top shot especially has a real nice balance between light and shadow, with all the detail intact. Is that unaugmented sunlight with an 85?
Thanks.

Hi,

The top shot was at 4 in the morning, just above zero degrees in an empty swimming pool. The light was a 6K par, I was holding a reflector for that shot. My Ultracam was on a Jimmy Jib. I did not have a real crew so I had been rigging & lighting myself all day, this was the 2nd location of 5.

As you can see it's really dark outside.

Stephen

Attached Images

• DSC_0263s.JPG

#8 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:27 AM

Should be fine, just overexpose by 1 stop.

Hi Stephen, does that mean if I am overexposing 2/3 of a stop for a denser negative anyway do I go to a 1 and 2/3 stops over ?

#9 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:46 AM

Hi Stephen, does that mean if I am overexposing 2/3 of a stop for a denser negative anyway do I go to a 1 and 2/3 stops over ?

Hi Tim,

I just went 1 stop over in total, the idea being to get above the fog level on the film.

Stephen

#10 Tim Terner

Tim Terner
  • Sustaining Members
  • 340 posts
  • Producer
  • Prague, CZ

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:57 AM

Thanks Stephen. BTW, love the empty pool shot

#11 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hi Stephen,

just out of curiosity, what was your shooting ratio, how many mintues\feet did you shoot?
I'm planning on shooting a music video soon and trying to figure out how much film I will need at the minimum for a 5min song...

#12 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

Hi Stephen,

just out of curiosity, what was your shooting ratio, how many mintues\feet did you shoot?
I'm planning on shooting a music video soon and trying to figure out how much film I will need at the minimum for a 5min song...

Hi,

We shot 1800 feet, for sure we don't have enough, the band went home after the 2nd location before the shoot was over!

Stephen

#13 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2250 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hi Stephen should have given me a call /email would have come over and given you a hand . John .

#14 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hi Stephen should have given me a call /email would have come over and given you a hand . John .

Hi John,

I will next time, crews are almost non existent. My focus puller that day had never worked with 35mm, he arrived 30 minutes before we were to shoot. I was rather worried as we were T2.5 & wider. Only 1 scene had any obvious problem. I let the director operate most of the time so I could spend more time lighting as the 'gaffer' never turned up. I also loaded all the mags & threaded the camera to save time, when I do everything works without a hitch.

I have also just had 7 days S16 with an amateur crew, hard work but great fun & great pictures.

Stephen

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape