Ernie Zahn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Director
  • Greenwich, CT

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:20 AM

Hello all,

I was hoping to learn more about the engineering of my cameras that way if there ever minor issues with the camera I could fix it myself and only send it out to get sericed when there is a really huge issue. And even when I do send it out, I'd like to understand enough of what's wrong to feel that what I pay to fix the camera really is worth it. I thought about, performing an autopsy on my camera but that would be a bad idea since I dn't know what I'm doing. I figured something like schematics would hell me out. But maybe there's a better place to start. I know that some people here really know their camera technics where did you get your knowledge? The cameras I'd want to learn more about are:

Beaulieu 6008s
Canon 514 XL
Nizo 3056

There are manuals and wiki articles, but they only tell you so much. Any input would be much appreciated.

#2 Jess Haas

Jess Haas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Santa Monica, Ca

Posted 13 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

These cameras are all rather simple. I have done a decent amount of super-8 camera repair and I would have to say that a schematic or repair manual is rarely necessary. I do have a repair manual for a couple of the canon 814's but it is microfiche and I never got around to scanning it. The real problem with repairing these cameras is parts availability. I have spent a lot of time using glue and solder to rebuild or repair parts that really should have been replaced.

In order to repair these cameras you need a good knowledge in mechanical, optical and electrical principles in how they relate to cameras. While often simple the small size of these cameras can make a lot of repairs rather difficult.

If you can find any old broken super8 cameras for cheap you might learn something from taking them apart and trying to fix them.

~Jess

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC