#1 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 13 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

Let's just say in theory I wanted to get a poster of a screenshot from your last movie - specifically the "sunrise" shot of the horse and man crossing the screen in the opening moments of the picture. Possibly my favorite shot in the last couple years. Let's say I wanted to get a blowup I could frame on my wall and get you to hancock.

Do you have access to a print or anything we could grab the frame from? Or should I use the HD trailer or wait for a 1080p HDDVD or Bluray grab? I think 1080 would blow up decently for a wall picture.

I guess this question applies overall, as well. If there is a shot you really love from a recent picture, is there any way to talk to the DP or colorist or whatever and get a copy worth blowing up and framing? Sites that might sell full-res copies of the digital publicity photos studios put out? Most fan sites limit the size of those pics severely.

Edited by Tom Lowe, 13 November 2007 - 10:26 PM.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 November 2007 - 12:31 AM

Let's just say in theory I wanted to get a poster of a screenshot from your last movie - specifically the "sunrise" shot of the horse and man crossing the screen in the opening moments of the picture. Possibly my favorite shot in the last couple years. Let's say I wanted to get a blowup I could frame on my wall and get you to hancock.

Do you have access to a print or anything we could grab the frame from? Or should I use the HD trailer or wait for a 1080p HDDVD or Bluray grab? I think 1080 would blow up decently for a wall picture.

I guess this question applies overall, as well. If there is a shot you really love from a recent picture, is there any way to talk to the DP or colorist or whatever and get a copy worth blowing up and framing? Sites that might sell full-res copies of the digital publicity photos studios put out? Most fan sites limit the size of those pics severely.

Well, I have a 4MP Canon PowerShot snapshot of one of those shots that might make an OK print...

Otherwise, you could try and grab a frame from an HD DVD/BluRay if there ever is one, not sure, and not sure how you do that. I don't recall a unit stills photographer being there that day otherwise I'd suggest you contact Warner Bros. publicity department.

There is a 2K D.I. master in some vault too... but I don't know how I or you would ever get access to that.

Unit Stills Photographers can take hundreds, if not thousands, of stills on a feature shoot, often with DSLR's these days. Trick is how to look through the files.

#3 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:01 AM

I was wondering if they give guys like you actual 35mm prints of their pictures to hold onto, etc.

Other than that, yeah, I think a 1080 grab from a trailer or HD disc is nice enough to blow up and get signed.

#4 Ram Krishna

Ram Krishna

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:42 AM

Hi David,

What are the 5 C's of Cinematography ?

Thanks,

Ram

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:23 AM

According to Mascelli's book: Camera Angles, Continuity, Cutting, Close-Ups, Composition.

#6 Andrew Brinkhaus

Andrew Brinkhaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:13 PM

I have a question... (which makes more sense to ask here, than to start a new topic for.)

There is a scene in Solstice, where two characters are positioned on the patio, while one of the main characters is cooking on the barbeque. In the DVD release, the male's key (the warm sunlight) is hitting him on his left side, but in the reversal of the female, she is being lit from the opposite side, her left. Was this shot this way, or was the frame flipped in post to correct an eye-line, or something similar?

Edited by Andrew Brinkhaus, 11 January 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

Those shots were made in miserable weather and by the time we got to his close-up, it was basically night with just a glow in the sky behind the black trees in the b.g.

So I lit him as fast as I could, shot wide-open, to get as much exposure in the background as I could (I may have even pushed the shot). I asked if we could reshoot the close-up in daylight and we did a few days later... but they preferred the performance in the first version.

I couldn't really fix it much in the D.I. either because the deep background was almost pitch-black. I lifted the blacks around the trees to create a lighter haze back there so it looked less like night.

#8 Andrew Brinkhaus

Andrew Brinkhaus
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

Actually, I thought the shot as a whole looked great, just the two key lights on the actors were from different sides between the two shots. (I am referring to the yellow kickers.)

#9 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

Any word on an HD release of Farmer? That would be awesome.

I actually thought HD-DVD would win, but now it's looking like Bluray has become the juggernaut.

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

No word.

Apparently WB Home Video underestimated sales of the DVD because they ran out of copies after the first week and had to make some more.

#11 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 16 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Oh!?! That's interesting to hear! And indirectly the best compliment for your work, I guess.

#12 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 17 January 2008 - 03:10 PM

I actually thought HD-DVD would win, but now it's looking like Bluray has become the juggernaut.

By Sony paying Warners $500,000 to drop HD-DVD & paying Fox to not drop Blu-Ray.

#13 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Not to mention that Microsoft pretty much left HD-DVD hanging out to dry. The reason I thought HD-DVD would win was Microsoft, but once they made the decision to not install HD-DVD in their Xbox's, I knew the format was in trouble.

#14 Jamie Lewis

Jamie Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Not to mention that Microsoft pretty much left HD-DVD hanging out to dry. The reason I thought HD-DVD would win was Microsoft, but once they made the decision to not install HD-DVD in their Xbox's, I knew the format was in trouble.

To put in an HD-DVD drive would have meant delaying the 360 for 6 months minimum and there was no chance in hell that was going to happen. HD-DVD was not read at the time the 360 launched.

#15 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

To put in an HD-DVD drive would have meant delaying the 360 for 6 months minimum and there was no chance in hell that was going to happen. HD-DVD was not read at the time the 360 launched.

Not sure I understand. There was an external HD-DVD drive for it, right?

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Visual Products

Opal

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets