Photo

Nikon X8 super zoom light meter problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Eran Solomon

Eran Solomon

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Digital Image Technician

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:16 AM

Hey everyone.
So I have the nikon x8 super zoom camera , everything works perfectly and its in great shape.
The only problem is the light meter wont move. I put in new batteries for the light meter (1.35v) , but still nothing.
When I use the battery check on top , the little niddle on the light meter (in the viewfinder) jumps to 16 and goes back. (but that happends even without lightmeter batteries inside :huh: )

Anyway, No matter where I point the camera too , it always stays on 2 in the light meter. ofcourse manual works but I need indication and help from the auto light meter.

Is there any chance somthing got cut in the wires inside? What do you think I should do ?

thanks in advance everyone!

-Eran-

#2 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 15 November 2007 - 10:00 PM

I would invest in a spot meter. At least use the camera a couple of times even if eventually you decide to sell it.

Right now you don't know what you have. Is it just the light meter that is broken and nothing else? If the camera still takes good pictures there are many people who would love to have a manual exposure camera only. Probably the best kind of super-8 film camera for a class so they quickly learn the importance of metering correctly is a manual exposure camera only. Also, by actually using the camera you may luck out and the automatic light meter could just start working again.

So there are two criteria at work here, use the camera to verify it works other than the automatic light meter, and then perhaps try and sell it to the right person knowing that it actually takes good pictures if someone sets the manual exposure correctly.

#3 Edward Koehler

Edward Koehler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:22 AM

It could be a connection issue in the battery compartment, or inside the camera on the way to the lightmeter. It could also be a dead cds cell, which would need to be replaced and the lightmeter recalibrated.
If you wish to keep the camera and get the auto exposure working, then you should send it to a service person who is accustomed to auto exposure systems like super 8 and can locate the part.
Let me know if you decide to have it serviced.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Opal

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Technodolly

Wooden Camera