barryagilbert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Producer
  • New York City

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:45 AM

Hi,

I am budgeting for a feature documentary and considering different video-cameras. My initial choice is the Varicam, but I'd prefer something more affordable if I felt that the quality of transfer/blowup were truly solid.

Any thoughts about winners/losers? What cameras in yoru experience give footage that makes for the best theatrical prints? (excluding the obvious top top of the line cameras above the Varicam) Cost, quality and workflow thoughts are all of interest.

Thanks,

Barry

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:56 AM

If you're asking about cheaper cameras than the Varicam, the question probably belongs in the HD camera section...

What is your budget range?

#3 barryagilbert

barryagilbert
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Producer
  • New York City

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:55 PM

If you're asking about cheaper cameras than the Varicam, the question probably belongs in the HD camera section...

What is your budget range?

Hi David,

I actually wasn't sure which would be the best forum category - looking to budget at 300K. Since there's nothing to go on for distribution at this point i'm doing one budget to anticipate a television pick-up in which case I;d be much less concerned about the camera as to my mind most any HD prosumer will look all right on a monitor finish but they don't all hold up when being blown up and projected.

Thanks,

BG

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2007 - 04:50 PM

Well, I meant the budget for the camera, not the overall budget. But you probably are aware of the HD cameras at different budget levels.

Of course, the wild card here is the RED camera, which certain appears to have the best picture-for-cost ratio out there if you can work out the issues of shooting a documentary on it.

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 17 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

Hi David,

I actually wasn't sure which would be the best forum category - looking to budget at 300K. Since there's nothing to go on for distribution at this point i'm doing one budget to anticipate a television pick-up in which case I;d be much less concerned about the camera as to my mind most any HD prosumer will look all right on a monitor finish but they don't all hold up when being blown up and projected.

Thanks,

BG

So are you looking to purchase a camera or rent?? It seems like you want to purchase, which puts you at about 10K perhaps more. For that money I would seriously consider renting the Varicam. I like the look of it over the Cinealta. But David is correct about the RED ONE and what it will bring. I would expect it to be in the same price range for rental as the Varicam

Willys Widgets

CineTape

Tai Audio

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Abel Cine