Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 17 November 2007 - 08:31 PM

Posted Image

I really loved the photography in Bridge in Terabtihia. Yes, it's basically a kids movie, but for those who know nothing about it, the story packs one hell of an emotional punch. I don't want to say anything more than that, and I discourage anyone from posting anything even remotely spoilerish. It's one of those pictures like Sixth Sense where if you go into it knowing nothing, you will be rewarded.

The photography by Michael Chapman (Raging Bull) is truly beautiful work. The one place where this picture suffers is its overuse of CGI visual effects. I'm guessing that Disney pressured the filmmakers to include more "Narnia" style effects, so they could market it. In terms of photography, it's kind of a more extreme example of Astronaut Farmer, in that all of the non-FX shots in both movies were absolutely gorgeous, Oscar-caliber work by the DPs, but some of the CGI effects didn't do it for me. With Farmer this is true to a much lesser extent, since Farmer has far fewer FX shots, and those FX shots fit in with the overall picture much better than the wildly out-out-place CGI stuff in Terabithia.

Anyway, check out Chapman's work in this picture if you get the chance. It's out in HD now.

#2 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

No love for this movie?

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Just watched it last night. It was a good kids flick, worth the rental at least.

I really liked Chapman's cinematography as well. Interiors were particularly well done.

There kinda has to be a lot of CG for this story, but that could have been a lot better and less cartoony. There was a lot of bluescreen done in a few forests as well, where the kids were obviously on a stage and not actually in a forest...and I'm not referring to any shots with animation in them.

#4 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:11 PM

Jonathan, without revealing anything, were you kind of shocked by the turn the story took? I was very much caught off guard by that.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:05 AM

Jonathan, without revealing anything, were you kind of shocked by the turn the story took? I was very much caught off guard by that.

Oh yeah, definitely. That's something quite heavy to throw into a kids movie. But those are the types of children's stories I enjoy, where there is a heavy dose of reality amid the imagination and fun. Just like most of the original Grimm's fairytales.

#6 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Watership Down is another that might fit into that category.

That movie left quite an impression on me as a kid.

#7 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 12 December 2007 - 01:41 AM

Watership Down is another that might fit into that category.

That movie left quite an impression on me as a kid.

It was having the book read to me as a kid that made the impression on me. Re-read it not so long ago... great piece of literature.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Opal

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineLab

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery