#1 Edgar Dubrovskiy

Edgar Dubrovskiy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 18 November 2007 - 09:49 AM

Hi! Here is an example of my work on XL2 - short film 'The Date'.
Shot as a part of National Film Competition (films had to be made in 72 hours) in October.

Comment and questions very appreciated!

#2 Jack Barker

Jack Barker
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Other
  • Ann Arbor, MI

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:14 PM

Edgar - Very nice! My comments are all completely subjective, but;

- I think I would have been tempted to have no dialogue at all - just the city sounds and the violin, of course.
- How did you make London look so clean?!
- I would take the encounter with the two girls out. It doesn't add anything, but some confusion - by the end of the little story, one is left wondering why it is in there.
- Photography is beautiful - how did you drum up that fog?

A solid piece of work. You should try posting on another website with better resolution than YouTube, which is almost any other website.

Vimeo (they also support HD)

View on Vimeo

BlipTV
http://blip.tv/

YouAreTV
http://www.youare.tv/

#3 Edgar Dubrovskiy

Edgar Dubrovskiy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London

Posted 18 November 2007 - 02:15 PM

[size=3][font="Georgia"]Edgar - Very nice! My comments are all completely subjective, but;

- I think I would have been tempted to have no dialogue at all - just the city sounds and the violin, of course.
- How did you make London look so clean?!
- I would take the encounter with the two girls out. It doesn't add anything, but some confusion - by the end of the little story, one is left wondering why it is in there.
- Photography is beautiful - how did you drum up that fog?

Thanks a lot for your response!
Yeah, girls' part - don't like it as well. But one of the rules of the competition was that we had to use Tina Fuller, Cheerleader; Peanut Butter and 'Now, That's what I call using your noodle!' in the film.

#4 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi! Here is an example of my work on XL2 - short film 'The Date'.
Shot as a part of National Film Competition (films had to be made in 72 hours) in October.

Comment and questions very appreciated!

Very nice effort. That wide shot near the end with the fog and tree was beautiful. I agree with everything that has been said already. I have to say you did a marvelous job given the time constraints. Filmmaking on the quick can be extremely stressful and at least in my opinion, a waste of time. You proved my wrong. Are you going to continue with this piece or is it done? If continue, it would be nice to see it in a better format, Youtube is very muddy and soft. I feel that there is much more contrast that could be squeezed out of the shots. All the leaves in the background are that medium gray and therefore, not that exciting. Also, the color of the leads jacket, what was it? You might have wanted to use something a bit darker in order to separate it from his face. Often, the jacket and his flesh tones were very similar and a bit bland.

I agree with the comment about the dialogue. It did not help the story, it was almost superfluous. I understand how these competitions work and that you draw these words out of a hat or something and must use them, just in this case, it didn't seem to help you. Does it have to be spoken dialogue? Perhaps you could have found a way to work them in silently. Graffiti on a wall? Adverts? Who knows. If you are to go back and do the directors cut, I would get rid of the two girls as said before and throw out all the dialogue as well. Not a silent film, just no words. Otherwise, Bravo!

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Technodolly

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS