#1 Ray Friera

Ray Friera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Student
  • San Francisco , California USA

Posted 18 November 2007 - 11:22 PM

My first music video shot on 11 rolls of vision2 7217/7218, total of 8 hrs. of work and I can not wait the next time the band is in town to do the rest of scene. Sorry, guys, the song is in Tagalog (Pilipino language)

http://blip.tv/file/...ra-Lihim115.mov

here is a rough translation.

I don't understand, these burdening feelings
try as I may to ignore them, still they linger on
time hastening, no longer want to tolerate it
all through life expecting, forced to live with them

chorus:
nothing else I can do
but to wait for the end
I don't know If I have the strength
to get back up again. or able to go back again

can someone tell me what to do
all I want is that all doubts in my mind to stop
to learn who I am, to escape the darkness
to see again, and vanquished all these hidden secrets I'm keeping

(Repeat Chorus)
why can't I understand... why can't I patiently wait

Let me know what you guys think?

#2 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 19 November 2007 - 02:01 AM

Hi Ray!

Looks good! I liked how the colors came through on the Vision2. Great job and thanks for sharing!

-pete

#3 Ray Friera

Ray Friera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

Hey Pete,

Any suggestion on what you think is missing or lucking in the video to improved it.

#4 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:51 AM

Hey Ray,

I think it's really good, you captured beautiful light in a lot of shots. I really like the dark hallway with the pools of hard toplight, the silhouette against the yellowish curtain, and the golden hour exterior stuff towards the end. I also like the camera movement, did you add some camera shake in post? You probably could have gone further with that. I noticed the subtle dolly moves in the band performance shots, they worked very well. I also like how you graded the band footage close to monochrome while the rest was very color saturated. You really took advantage of the Super8 look and aesthetic which was nice to see.

If there was one thing that didn't leave an impression on me, it was the narrative sequences -- I didn't really follow what was going on, but that didn't really detract from the video for me. I mostly remember those images that I mentioned already and they were very strong. I'm curious to know how much of the look was done in camera, and how much was done in post. Did you mix stocks for the high saturation/low saturation looks? Did you add any camera shake and vignetting in post? How did you light some of those locations, or did you use existing light?

Anyway, good work, I think it looks great! Keep it up, you've got talent. :)

#5 Ray Friera

Ray Friera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 November 2007 - 06:54 PM

Satsuki,

Thanks for the kind words. Let me say more about the project. I met the band from San Diego many months ago and we agreed to do a no budget music video the next time they are in town. Next thing you know we're shooting in an artist studio with 3 650/ 2 300 Arri frenels,shopping cart, step ladder and my back against the floor for the ants' point of view. We shot for 5 hrs. and off they go to do their gig afterwards and went back south the next day. That is the sum of our first day of production.

Next time they were in the city, this time with less time (3 hrs.) to do the story line. We drove around the city stopping whenever lighting and location looked right, shooting 4,9,18 and 24 frames per second, hand held on a shopping cart for the hallway, behind the pick-up truck for the tracking shot. As for lighting, it was available light aided with disk reflector.

I did the post on FCP and desaturated and crash the shadow for the band performance. As for camera shake, it is a characteristic inherent with super 8 film, some cart have more shake than others and the handheld camera work.

Is there any shot in the video you want out or any shot you want to see to help the story line? I am going to shoot more footage of the band the next time they come to the city.

Ray

#6 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

It might be good to get a lot of close-ups of the band performing... like the guitar and base player's fingers going at it, close-ups of drums being hit, close-ups of the singer singing, etc etc etc (go crazy with close ups and keep it hand held for a little extra energy). That will allow you to insert them in between the wide and medium shots of the band performing which will give those sequences more life and energy. A video for song like this is all about energy which you should keep in your head while you're shooting. Try it out, see if it works, you've gotten off to a good start now get in close, in your face close.

#7 Ray Friera

Ray Friera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 November 2007 - 07:28 PM

Hey Alex,

Great point, as this was on my original plan. If you notice in the hallway shot I used a faster stock 500T. I was hoping to shoot close ups of the band's live performance; unfortunately, the club was packed up to the tiny stage.

Thanks for the great advice, I really appreciate it.

#8 Pete Von Tews

Pete Von Tews
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Concord CA USA

Posted 25 November 2007 - 01:38 AM

Hi Ray,

I agree with adding some close up shots of the band members/instruments, that would add more visual elements to the performance, but sometimes you gotta fly with what you have. At the 1/5 beginning part when the band jumps up, I would edit that so it looks slow motion as they are jumping up. Besides that, the colors look great and the video has a great look to it. I like it!

#9 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:21 AM

Can't see it! ;)

#10 Ray Friera

Ray Friera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

Jonathan, Try this; http://blip.tv/file/529123/

#11 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 January 2008 - 02:57 AM

Nice work Ray! I really liked the performance stuff, it was pretty sharp for Super8. And I liked the desaturation of the image, it worked quite well. I think the exterior stuff was the only part that needed some work. Perhaps some more closeup work would have made it a bit more intense.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery