#1 Stephen Price

Stephen Price
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • London

Posted 19 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

Some of you may be familiar with the colour aberration caused by the P+S Technik Pro35 and film lenses on any video camera.

With the Varicam, removing this unwanted colour is fairly straightforward to get an acceptable compromise.

With Sony's 900r, it seems much more difficult to correct. Currently i use a light box, verctorscope and a good monitor. I use page 14, vertical modulation and adjust the red and green to balance the colour cast. I am finding it not ideal and cannot get it as good as the Varicams automatic function.

Does anyone else have experience with this? How do you correct the colour aberration on the HDW-900r?

Any thoughts welcome

Thanks

#2 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

You do not want to do it with a vectorscope, you should do it with a waveform monitor that can separate into the three color channels. You need to adjust both the saw and parabola for each color channel both vertically and horizontally. It's not something I can easily explain on a forum but could demonstrate in person. A skilled tech at a good rental house should be able to show you as well.

#3 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:07 PM

... At a recent testing with a 900R, I had a look at the camera with the adaptor and the colour effect was dissapointing... I was told by the hire company that it could really only be totally removed in post - added expense... I opted for digiprimes and more control over diffusion... Hope you can sort it out...

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies