4 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:40 AM

So Richard Kelly and Steven Poster are at it again in Southland Tales. Not a bad movie but I think I liked Donnie Darko better. I'm still decompressing but I feel Southland Tales was a little too much of a liberal rant for it's own good. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about the liberal rant, but I think I was expecting a little more from Richard Kelly. This movie had it's moments and wasn't bad but it just didn't have the same clarity of vision that Donnie Darko did. The characters were good but never really seemed to live up to their potential, maybe it was due to the complex story.

As far as Poster's work goes I also feel Donnie Darko was stronger. I got they were going for low con look but I feel they went a little over board with the smoke sometimes. Some scenes just looked a little mushy to me. Also some noticeably soft shots made it into the cut, close-ups no less. This is not to say that Poster's work was bad, it wasn't, I just think that my expectation might have just been a little too high. There were several scenes that I did really enjoy the camera work on; the music videoish scene at the video arcade near the end and the finale on the air ship were both quite good as well as some others.

As always, I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:14 PM

Interesting that this film is finally getting released. it was panned at it´s 2006 Cannes Premiere and has been recut since. I´m a sucker for post-apocalyptic films so I'll check it out eventually.

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:20 PM

I finally saw this film. Well parts of it actually, I stopped after 40 minutes, really couldn't be bothered, it was so awful! I pity those people who paid money to see this, luckily I was given the dvd by a friend who also couldn't finish it.

#4 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:17 AM

I think I was expecting a little more from Richard Kelly. This movie had it's moments and wasn't bad but it just didn't have the same clarity of vision that Donnie Darko did. The characters were good but never really seemed to live up to their potential, maybe it was due to the complex story.

I really don't rate Donnie Darko and its funny because my biggest problem with it is its total lack of clarity and misdirection. I was looking forward to Southland tales but suspected that its long period on the shelf wasn't a good sign but the cast looked so screwball I figured it might be funny. Richard Kelly's next film sounds interesting though, based on a twilight zone episode but I feel like I could give his first two a miss.
Does anyone else feel a certain sense of hype about this young director, even if he's shown potential?

#5 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

I guess I just never had a problem following Donnie Darko. It did take a couple of viewings to really get the story figured but compared with Southland Tales Donnie Darko is crystal clear. Some people love it, some hate it, but I'm still a Donnie Darko fan. I thought Kelly and Poster did a good job with that one.

Oddly enough the longer its been since I've seen Southland Tales the more fond of it I am. Not because it had anything epic to say or anything like that but just for its sheer weirdness.

Glidecam

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Paralinx LLC