#1 crille haag

crille haag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 November 2007 - 08:36 AM

Hello everyone.

I have two different setups I wanted to discuss.

The first one is under water. With people "floating" in the air. The background has to be completely black. We will shoot one person at a time. The lighting will be sidelights so the left side of the face also becoms completely black. It will look a little bit like the old portishead video that chris cunnigham did a couple of years ago.

My thoughts about this one one is to try and do it in a built glass tank. So I can light and do the camerawork outside on "dry" land. And do it in a studio where I can use lots of black cloth to minimize reflections. If I do it in a pool with underwatercameras Im concerned about the electrics and the control of both lights and cameras.

The other one is a scene were a car is submerged into water and you see a family inside who struggles to get out. It´gonna look like the car got out of control and smashed into a lake. The background can of course be black. Its one take and the camera is shooting trough the front windshield. It will be about 30 seconds long. Depending on how long the car takes to be filled completely.

This one is tricky. I can´t build a glass tank thats big enough to hold a car. And how do I submerge it? Can you do it in a pool that you fill with water very quickly and shoot with underwatercameras. But how do you light inside the car.

If anyone has any ideas or experiences about this I would love to hear it. And don´t worry about the safety issues. If it is someone who values "safety first" It´s me. I will see to it that the right people are there to back us up.

#2 David Auner aac

David Auner aac
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hi crille,

this is to you and your fellow newbies here on the boards:
Please REFRAIN from cross posting. Post where you think is most appropriate but don't post to several subforums. It's really annoying to see the same topic again and again!

Thanks, David

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 November 2007 - 11:50 AM

I think even a well-budgeted show would probably just find a local lake to shoot in and put the car in it so they can drag it out when they are done, rather than build a tank, though you could also make a car set that has the front sawed-off and is just the cab and windows to save some weight & size for tank work.

Even building a tank large enough for a person full-figure with two or three glass sides would be quite expensive -- that's a lot of water pressure to keep in. If it's a simple side-lit shot, I don't see why using an underwater camera and lights and a black-painted swimming pool would be that hard to deal with.

First step would be to do a survey of water tanks used for filming in your area.

#4 crille haag

crille haag
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

Hi crille,

this is to you and your fellow newbies here on the boards:
Please REFRAIN from cross posting. Post where you think is most appropriate but don't post to several subforums. It's really annoying to see the same topic again and again!

Thanks, David

I´m really sorry for that. It was actually a mistake... I haven´t posted that many things and something got wrong.

Metropolis Post

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Opal

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products