Steadicam School

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ben Kasulke

Ben Kasulke
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2007 - 06:41 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a Steadicam training program and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

I would prefer somewhere in the USA or Canada but am willing to travel.

Many thanks,

Ben

#2 Robert Starling SOC

Robert Starling SOC
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles and Las Vegas

Posted 22 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

I am looking for a Steadicam training program and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Hi Ben:

There are several Steadicam workshops that go on throughout the year in the US.

Tiffen, manufacturer of the Steadicam holds week-long workshops twice a year. The cost is around $3000 including food and lodging. You do not have to own a rig to attend any workshop.

If you're just getting started Tiffen also offers a very comprehensive two-day workshop using the Steadicam Flyer. It costs $500 for the two days but only includes lunch. They have a workshop in some part of the country almost every month or so. The two-day is a great way to get started and also to see if Steadicam is for you. Just go to the www.thesteadicamworkshops.com for the latest schedule and location.

The Steadicam Operators Association also holds a Spring and Fall week long workshop in PA. Usually the same instructors as the Tiffen workshops, plus a few others.

The Maine Media Workshops in Rockport holds at least two week long workshops.

As far as I know Tiffen / Steadicam basically sponsors all of the above with equipment and many of the instructors are the same.

PRO-GPI, another manufacturer of camera stabilization systems holds a two day workshop in LA in the Spring. Different gear, different instructors, well produced.

Of the four workshops listed above, I've attended all except the Maine Workshop, but I've attended many other workshops in Maine over the last 25 years and can recommend them as well. I've taken four Steadicam workshops total and plan to take more.

The bottom line is, a workshop is a "must do" if you ask any operator. No matter who puts it on the concepts are the same and the instructors are all experienced working operators who are there because they love to share, not because of the money; most volunteer their time.

Another great resource for you is to visit the Steadicam Forum and search and read the archives. There's thousands of years of combined experience and information there.

Best of luck to you and I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Robert Starling, SOC
Steadicam Owner Operator
Las Vegas

Member Steadicam Operators Association and Steadicam Guild

Opal

CineTape

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies