#1 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

Is this possible? I know that IMAX is a Canadian company so far as the "IMAX" brand is concerned. How many 65mm cameras are out there? I have a small film but in IMAX it would be so much better. Big giant 70mm ultra-low budget.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

Is this possible? I know that IMAX is a Canadian company so far as the "IMAX" brand is concerned. How many 65mm cameras are out there? I have a small film but in IMAX it would be so much better. Big giant 70mm ultra-low budget.

Do you mean 15-perf 65mm IMAX (1.33 : 1 negative, a little more widescreen when projected) or standard 5-perf 65mm Super Panavision / Todd-AO (2.20 : 1)?

And how will you get to show it? IMAX theaters are booked months in advance, and even standard 5-perf 70mm projection rooms are getting rare.

And can you afford a format like 15-perf 65mm that is something like 6X the cost of 35mm in terms of stock?

#3 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

Only if you can beg borrow or steal a 70mm camera, and somehow get free stock....

If you really must see your project up on the oversized screen, then you might want to consider originating on something a little more common and blowing it up to IMAX. 35mm to 70mm used to be done for some premiere showings.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 25 November 2007 - 08:12 PM

Is this possible? I know that IMAX is a Canadian company

Yes, and we charge Americans tripple, payable in Canadian dollars only :D

R,

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:38 PM

Only if you can beg borrow or steal a 70mm camera, and somehow get free stock....

......and you can steal; a gorilla from your local zoo and train it to carry the camera around. A 70mm camera weighs about 150lbs. Niki, Niki, Niki.....you never fails to amaze me with the things you come up with! Howbouts you just shoot a nice little movie short or a few scenes with your KSR-1 and see how THAT turns out first before ya book the IMAX theater? Your problem is you don't have any confidence in yourself and keep coming uo with all this flash to cover up what you think is some kind of inadequacy when all you really need is substance and a little faith in yourself. Write some good, engaging scenes, form them into a great script that you can afford to do with what you have, do the best you can with what you've got and make a good LITTLE movie. In other words, quit trying to build a Cadillac out of outta Honda parts. You got the budget you've got, you've got the equipment you're got, make the best of it until you can afford better and learn more about your craft. Nobody ever took driver's ed at the Indianapolis 500, capish? B)

#6 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

A 70mm camera weighs about 150lbs.

That's not true in general. Some 65mm cameras may weigh that much (I'm not sure), but most of them don't. There are even 5 perf 65mm and IMAX cameras that are plenty light for steadicam.
Here's an example:
Posted Image

#7 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:38 AM

............Nobody ever took driver's ed at the Indianapolis 500, capish? B)

Ah Cap'n, you have such a way with words!

My first racecar was a Bugeye Sprite (as you know). At the first race or two every spring someone would show up with big new V8 racecar, maybe a Corvette, that was pretty much a street car with race tires and a roll cage in it. They'd get out in a mixed practice session with the little production class, fully prepared REAL racecars like the H Production Bugeyes - and proceed to get outrun everywhere on the course except down very long, very straight, straights. The small iron with engines one-quarter their V8's size were thoroughly refined racecars and could outbrake and outcorner the newbies giant lead sled - and were driven by drivers with very large cojones.

A situation not unlike someone with limited experience going out with an IMAX camera..................

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 November 2007 - 12:14 AM

That's not true in general. Some 65mm cameras may weigh that much (I'm not sure), but most of them don't. There are even 5 perf 65mm and IMAX cameras that are plenty light for steadicam.
Here's an example:
Posted Image

I stand corrected on that point. I was going by the older 70mm Photo Sonics I've seen on Ebay for sale....which is probably the only 70mm Niki would be able to afford ( I know it's the only ones I could afford and VERY briefly considered buying for animation). But I DO stand by the rest of my post. B)

#9 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:20 PM

......and you can steal; a gorilla from your local zoo and train it to carry the camera around. A 70mm camera weighs about 150lbs. Niki, Niki, Niki.....you never fails to amaze me with the things you come up with! Howbouts you just shoot a nice little movie short or a few scenes with your KSR-1 and see how THAT turns out first before ya book the IMAX theater? Your problem is you don't have any confidence in yourself and keep coming uo with all this flash to cover up what you think is some kind of inadequacy when all you really need is substance and a little faith in yourself. Write some good, engaging scenes, form them into a great script that you can afford to do with what you have, do the best you can with what you've got and make a good LITTLE movie. In other words, quit trying to build a Cadillac out of outta Honda parts. You got the budget you've got, you've got the equipment you're got, make the best of it until you can afford better and learn more about your craft. Nobody ever took driver's ed at the Indianapolis 500, capish? B)

This thread's a joke, James. Sorry.

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:58 PM

Niki, ever heard the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Are we to now assume that all your posts are jokes and thus to be ignored from now on? Because I have better things to do with my time than answering your posts.

#11 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:04 AM

Niki, ever heard the story of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Are we to now assume that all your posts are jokes and thus to be ignored from now on? Because I have better things to do with my time than answering your posts.

He obviously has absolutely no idea what it means for a full member of the ASC to be willing to spend his time helping newbies thread their way through the Cinematography world. I do appreciate and admire your openhearted efforts. Thank you.

#12 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

Definitely Hal. Hell, it's just in general, "cool," to use a word which reveals my age, that we have professionals here in all calibers to guide all of us through the world of cinematography. It's a jungle, it seems, deepening by the day.

#13 Daniel Sheehy

Daniel Sheehy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Other
  • Brisbane

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:35 AM

Like the one where you wanted to shoot actors with real bullets?
And the one where you wanted to shoot up and smash a rental car?

Quit wasting people's time mate.

If it's a joke, say so at the beginning.

#14 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:03 AM

Because I have better things to do with my time than answering your posts.

Hitting the "Ignore Niki" buttonnnnn...NOW

#15 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:44 PM

Niki, baby.....You've got a weird sense of humor....which generally I like but why not put that great imagination of your's to more constructive use.....like in a script or 5? You got people here who want to help you, but if you're not serious about your craft, why should they? Now next post, ask a question that actually has something to do with your film, camera, script, production, or films you've seen, anything that will actually help you get your film made, because until you make a film, you're not a filmmaker, and if that's what you want to do with your life, then you better get serious about it because it's maybe the hardest profession to become successful in there is and if YOU'RE not serious, there's a 1000 other people that are and they're the ones who are gonna run right past you getting to that brass ring. It's up to you, no one can do it for you. Just think about it.-Steve B)

PS guys, Niki said she's a girl.

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 29 November 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#16 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:42 PM

..then you better get serious about it because it's maybe the hardest profession to become successful in there is and if YOU'RE not serious, there's a 1000 other people that are and they're the ones who are gonna run right past you getting to that brass ring. It's up to you, no one can do it for you. Just think about it.-Steve B)

Oh it's not THAT hard.. especially when you got -MY talent. Besides I don't really plan on making a career out of filmmaking, life's too short.. I just want to make a few million (or more), a 2,3 maybe 5 films than call it quits.

He obviously has absolutely no idea what it means for a full member of the ASC to be willing to spend his time helping newbies thread their way through the Cinematography world. I do appreciate and admire your openhearted efforts. Thank you.

You're right, I do not understand what it means to be a full member of the ASC. If my posts and off-center indie ways cause major panty bunching and camoline tea time for you- then I'd like to apologize to you right now because it's not my intention to lead the flock astray.

Hitting the "Ignore Niki" buttonnnnn...NOW

Jeez dude, lighten up. Nobody likes big sensitive babies.

#17 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:55 PM

Oh it's not THAT hard.. especially when you got -MY talent. Besides I don't really plan on making a career out of filmmaking, life's too short.. I just want to make a few million (or more), a 2,3 maybe 5 films than call it quits.

Hmmm... you mustn't be making indie films in that case.

#18 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:16 PM

Jeez dude, lighten up. Nobody likes big sensitive babies.

Nobody likes a person who wastes other peoples time intentionally.

#19 Niki Mundo

Niki Mundo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hmmm... you mustn't be making indie films in that case.

Yeah I'm making "indie" films. You know what's hard Brian? Raising a few kids working at McDonalds. Or living in a Chinese sweat shop That's hard. Loading an movie camera and calling "action" isn't hard - it's easy. ..

Nobody likes a person who wastes other peoples time intentionally.

Hollywood wastes my time, Mr. Grimmett. All the time. Rarely is it worth it. But I keep coming back, much like you keep posting on my threads. You're addicted to my wit and womenly charms..

#20 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hi,

Does any one know what it will cost me to get the space shuttle for about two weeks and the international space station?

I have this murder mystery that takes place in space and I want to shoot it on location.

Also, do you think I should use film or video? Which is better?

And should I go to film school or work my way up?

Thanks
R,

Rig Wheels Passport

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

CineLab

CineTape