Photo

My anamorphics for the KSR-1 came today!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 25 November 2007 - 10:42 PM

I am SOOOO jazzed about these lenses. I always kinda concerned that the Konvas KSR-1 might not be as useful as my Kinor 35C Rotovision 5000 and were a perhaps less desirable than the 1 and 2Ms but after looking though the viewfinder with my newly arrived square-front, 2 piece anamorphics, I have completely changed my mind. The first thing that suprised me is how big the lenses were. I guess because the lenses that are standard with the package seemed small. I actually was worried at first I might have bought the wrong lens for this camera but my worries were completely unwarranted as when I slipped them into the mounts the fit like a dream.

My only confusion is why they were made as 2 piece lenses. I assume its a matter of flexibility so you can use the sphericals that fit into the anamorphic front elements as stand alone lenses there by allowing you to carry less with you. I think for the sake of collumnation they should have been somehow bolted together. I wonder if I could find a way to do that, so that they can easily be taken separated and stored in the original wooden cases?

I do have to find a dovetail bridge plate fr the longer lenses (the 50 and 75mm) but the kits were otherwise complete except these a pin that fits into a tab on the 75mm spherical element that is missing and is suppose to fit into a slot on the anamorphic element so you can focus both elements at the same time. I was able to put my hand over bothe sections and turn them at the same time but the pin makes it a lot easier son it will have to be replaced. The 35mm kit was only missing the bolt that holds the short dovetail support to the camera. I'll have to find that as well. but over all I am EXTREMELY pleased with these wonderfull lenses and intend to put them to good use very soon doing some second unit footage shots for Blood Moon Rising. I can hardly wait!!! B)

#2 Frederico Dichiara

Frederico Dichiara
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:24 PM

I'll have to find that as well. but over all I am EXTREMELY pleased with these wonderfull lenses and intend to put them to good use very soon doing some second unit footage shots for Blood Moon Rising. I can hardly wait!!! B)
[/quote]

Sounds great, Steve!

Could you post some images of the anamorphics and the camera?

#3 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:08 PM

Sure! I already saved the pics from the ads on my computer and I'll try and snap a few with the lenses on the camera later on. Here are the ad pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is one of the rear elements

Posted Image

Pretty cool huh? B)

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:39 PM

Sure! I already saved the pics from the ads on my computer and I'll try and snap a few with the lenses on the camera later on. Here are the ad pics:
Posted Image

Pretty cool huh? B)

Hi Cap'n,

Is that a spigot mount lens like an Arri Standard? If so, what's the diameter of the spigot and the back focal distance of a Konvas KSR-1 lens? Obviously I'm wondering if a KSR-1 mount lens can be convinced to mount on my Arri. I've got a good used 2C/bayo turret I could butcher if necessary.

#5 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:23 AM

Yeah, they look similar, here is a pic of a kinda ratty Konvas 1M that has the same type turret that mine does with the OCT-18 mount:

Posted Image

and here is a shot of another lens like mine showing the mount and one of the front apparently mine in missing the screw in stick as well, something easily remedied:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know what the mount diameter or back focus are on these but I will endevour to find out for you. I'll email Olex. There's a guy named Viktor who goes by the handle realrus1realrus on ebay that has a company that makes mount adapters ( spbsale.com ) and if the OCT-18 is smaller than the Arri standard all you may need is an adapter. B)

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

Hi Cap'n,

Is that a spigot mount lens like an Arri Standard? If so, what's the diameter of the spigot and the back focal distance of a Konvas KSR-1 lens? Obviously I'm wondering if a KSR-1 mount lens can be convinced to mount on my Arri. I've got a good used 2C/bayo turret I could butcher if necessary.

Here's a page from Raf's site:

http://rafcamera.com...301f4973752560b

While the OST-18 mt. looks like the Arri std. it is larger.

Having the anamorphic section seperate from the backing lenses is for economy.
Cylinder lenses are more expensive than sphericals. So it's cheaper to use the same anamorphot on more than one lens. & less weight to lug around.

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:58 PM

I ran into a bit of a problem today in that there are 2 small pins on the mounting plate of the original matte box I bought for the KSR-1 that fit into 2 small holes in the dovetail plate on the anamorphic lens support for the 35mm. The problem is that the holes seem to be a little too smal for he pins to fit in which makes me wonder if there wasn't an anamorphic matte box that went with the KSR-1 or the 1M. I could use some emery cloth to sand the pin diamiter down but although there was a wide-screen set of filter holders (like 3X4) the 3x3 slot will not detach. I don't want to screw up this matte box but I do need a matte box that will work with the anamorphics. The matte box is a bellows type ans the ONLY one i've ever seen for the 1M (I don't think it was designed to fit the KSR-1 but it should work). Anyone know anything about this or have any suggestions?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:25 AM

Yeah, they look similar, here is a pic of a kinda ratty Konvas 1M that has the same type turret that mine does with the OCT-18 mount:

I don't know what the mount diameter or back focus are on these but I will endevour to find out for you. I'll email Olex. There's a guy named Viktor who goes by the handle realrus1realrus on ebay that has a company that makes mount adapters ( spbsale.com ) and if the OCT-18 is smaller than the Arri standard all you may need is an adapter. B)

Konvas-1, ( KSR-1, KSR-1M, made in Krasnogorsk or MosKinAp ), Konvas-1M ( 1KSR-1M ) have similar lens mount ( guys to call OST-18 ) have diameter of mount 47 mm, flange focal distance 57 mm.
OST-18 lens mount look like Arri standard lens mount, but, Arri standard lens mount have other diameter ( 41 mm ) and other flange focal distance ( 52 mm).
James show of anamoprhic set of 35 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm, included :
two front anamoprhic adaptres, the first 35 NAS-10-3 for 35 mm lens, and second 35 NAS-4-1 for 50 mm and 75 mm lenses and special edition ( for anamoprhic set ) spherical lenses 35 mm OKS-8-35-1A, 50 mm OKS-1-50-1A, 75 mm OKS-1-75-1A.
The mark "A: show, what the spherical lenses have special edition of body for anamorphic adapters.

1KSR-1M matte box create for spherical lenses of Konvas-1M cameras.
The holder for filters can carry of glass filters with size 75 x 75 mm ( 3x3') and 75 x 120 mm.
The glass filters have thick 3-4 mm and if you think to use of gelatin filters, you need make of special frame.

1KSR-1M matte box can be use for Kinor-16 SX-2M camera with adapter.
I Think, Konvas-1 made in Moskinap can be compatible with 1KSR-1M matte box, but, Konvas-1M, made in Krasnogorsk factory can have problem, because, have spherical part on bottom side of body.

I hear about hand made matte box for Konvas-1 cameras, this base plate with metall matte box, like of matte box of Konvas-2M camera.

If you think about matte box for anamorphic lenses, I recommend to draw attention on anamorphic matte box of Kinor-35H camera.
I think, the anamorphic matte box set of Kinor-35H can be upgrade for use with Konvas-1, 1M cameras.
i use of this set with my Konvas-2M camera ( after upgrade of mount with camera ).

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

Yeah, the front of my camera looks virtually identical to the ratty black one with the excetion that the paint is in much better cindition. There are no cosiponding holes in the bottom of my KSR-1 for the matte-box pins to fit into which makes me wonder if

A. I should remove the matte box pins and glue a non slip rubber pad to the camera bottom or matte box mounting plate,

or

B. have a machine shop drill precise holes into my camera base that match the pins to stop the matte box from slipping.

I also don't have a hole for the french flag to screw into so I winder if there's a way to make the flag work?

Any ideas? :unsure:

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineTape