Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

I appologize if this sounds really stupid to you, but:

I just made my first attempt at powering up my new 1m with 15epss motor. It doesn't run, so I'm trying to work out where to start... I hooked up the stabilizing unit to 7x1,2v aa duracell rechargeables (2650 mah) The motor runs when not connected to camera, but once connected it gives up (I can also jam the motor rather easily with my thumb... Is this power source way too weak????)
As the resistance of my camera is enough to kill the motor, I am wondering: how smooth is "smooth" when it comes to the 1m. With quite some effort, and no mag, I can turn the connector to the motor with my finger. But as I have no terms of reference I can't tell if that's smooth enough... I could take the thing appart and lubricate all moving parts, but I just don't know if that's the problem, or if it just needs a stronger battery....

Any help or guesses appreciated,

Kristian

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:31 PM

I just made my first attempt at powering up my new 1m with 15epss motor. It doesn't run, so I'm trying to work out where to start...

First thing I would suggest is take a look at the post Olex made on this forum not long ago concerning the 15epss motor and control boxes. He goes into some detail concerning batteries, which is critical. Secondly, the motor control boxes and motors are not particularly reliable, so after you are pretty confident that you have the right power you might start looking into those issues. Of course what would really be a lot better is to pick up the 17APK crystal motor (keep an eye on sp314 on ebay, when he has them the prices are good). It is pretty hard to tell if you have a camera issue from your description, but it sounds like it might be a reasonable amount of drag. I have a few of these bodies- the older ones spin pretty freely, but the new (unused) one has more resistance, so that isn't really much help.

Good luck!

Bruce

#3 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:53 AM

The some simply test for check of condition of mechanism of camera.
15 EPSS motor have white disk for manual turn of mechanism of camera.
You need attach of motor on camera, attach of magazine and you must turn of mechanism of camera by
rotate of disk of fingers.
If you can't do this, the camera must be service.

The next test. You need connect high power 6 v 10...14 ah battery ( charged battery ).
Set speed switch on 24 RED position and run of camera, If all Ok, the camera must be run ( The speed must be less of 24 fps, 18..22 fps, because, 6 v battery have low voltage for original power unit), but, the camera must be run.

The next idea.
You can take of 4 pcs ( 3 pcs )of 12 v 7..10 Ah batteries, connect in series ( 12 + 12+ 12 + 12 v = 48 v or 12+12+12 = 36 v), i can show you pins inside of motor or on connector on power cord. You need connect 48 v ( 36 v )with this pins and motor on camera must be run.

From my personal experience, I think, your camera have high value of resistance of rotation , because , the camera don't have service long time.
The your battery have low power 2.6 Ah.
I run of 15EPSS motor with minimum power of 4ah battery, but, need more high power battery.
My expriments with 2ah batteries don't had good result, because, low power batteries have high source impedance.
The original battery of 15EPSS have power 15ah.

#4 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:11 AM

Thanks Olex,

I will keep trying. I would very much appreciate if you could point out the pins on the connector cord and the power connection points inside the motor housing for testing the motor without the control unit. Thanks again.

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:48 AM

I appologize if this sounds really stupid to you, but:

I just made my first attempt at powering up my new 1m with 15epss motor. It doesn't run, so I'm trying to work out where to start... I hooked up the stabilizing unit to 7x1,2v aa duracell rechargeables (2650 mah) The
Kristian

er, hang on! You hooked it up to 7 AA penlite batteries! I don't mean to be weird or anything and I havn't done the math but I can't imagine you can power of 15epss off penlite batteries. I suspect that not only is your motor in working condition but that it must be working preety amazingly well to run off your walkman batteries!

I strongly suspect they just don't provide the power you need, but I do sooooo love that you have actually tried it. Maybe you could get 14 wired correctly and get an even better result than you already had! :)

Olex mentions 10ah tho, which is quite a bit more than 2650mah.

At least you know the motor moves!

Some people are powering these motors off the 7v supplies in some rechargable power drills.

love

Freya

#6 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:15 PM

I haven't done the math for this, no... But I got the aa batteries to power up my milliken 16mm camera - and it wakes the neighbours up at 400 fps :lol: That needs about 5 amps to run at that speed (so the manual says), and it works like a charm. 24 cells (walkman batteries hehe) giving off 28,8 volts. But I don't know how many amps the 15epss needs - but I guess at 6-8 volts quite a bit more than 5.
My reason for this experimenting with small size batteries is that it is eventually all going underwater, and size is a major issue - so actually the controller of the 15epss is no hit....

#7 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 November 2007 - 03:59 AM

Thanks Olex,

I will keep trying. I would very much appreciate if you could point out the pins on the connector cord and the power connection points inside the motor housing for testing the motor without the control unit. Thanks again.

[attachment=3097:Motor_Dia_1.jpg]
Other pictures can send by email only, have big size.

#8 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:10 AM

. But I don't know how many amps the 15epss needs - but I guess at 6-8 volts quite a bit more than 5.
My reason for this experimenting with small size batteries is that it is eventually all going underwater, and size is a major issue - so actually the controller of the 15epss is no hit....

The user manual of 15EPSS motor wrote:
The current from battery at mode-1," normal power " speeds 8, 16, 24 black, can be up to 9 A
The motor can work long time.
The current at " mode-2", " forsed power ", speeds 24 red, 32 can be up to 23A
The motor must be use at short time, not more 1 minute with waiting 5 minutes.

But, All this currents askof normal condition of mecanism of camera with engine torque for MODE-1
up to 600 gramm*meter and MODE-2 1000 gramm*meter.

#9 Kristian Schumacher

Kristian Schumacher
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Oslo, Norway

Posted 30 November 2007 - 04:54 AM

Thanks so much Olex!

I would really like those photos by email if you have them available. You have my email address.

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 30 November 2007 - 07:24 AM

Thanks so much Olex!

I would really like those photos by email if you have them available. You have my email address.

You could wire the AA batteries up so they are in blocks of 7 odd volts each and then wire the blocks together either in series or parallel whichever is the right one. I'm not sure right now as I havn't looked it up and I'm not entirely sure what I'm going on about but I'm sure you either know what I mean or can look it up! ;)

Other alternatives would be as I say the little 7.5 volt batteries that come with some of the cheap rechargeable drills out there or someone was telling me that they were using batteries from model racing cars.

I do love the idea that you are trying to do this with AA batteries tho, and it sounds like you have already got quite far!

However it seems to me like you might be batter with the crystal motor for your application as it has no controller box and it takes 12volts.

Good luck!

love

Freya

#11 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:10 PM

Thanks so much Olex!

send me request on olex.camera@gmail.com

#12 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

Kristian,

detach your motor from the camera body. You should now be able to turn the mechanism with your fingertip (without pain, please). If not, your camera needs cleaning and lubrication, which every experienced camera shop should be able to do.

And remember: Those mags become part of the camera - have them cleaned/lubed too, or they will act like brakes, slowing down the camera and putting unnecessary strain on whatever motor you use.

Please check whether the pins on the motor clutch have their rubber hoods, these are necessary to avoid vibration and play between camera mechanism and motor drive - if they are missing, you may get fluctuations in speed and additional noise.

Edited by Christian Appelt, 12 December 2007 - 05:38 PM.

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

The Slider

Glidecam