#1 Jason Mann

Jason Mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Rockland, ME

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:18 AM

My grandfather, who just passed away, was a director in Hollywood. When we were sorting through his apartment, we found a big stack of film cans in his closet. Some of these were clearly labeled (b&w home movies, assembled on big 16mm reels, maybe 1000ft each...)

We also found several smaller rolls of 35mm film, most of them probably no more than 100-300ft (i'm guessing, many weren't even on cores, just wrapped in paper and a rubber band). They appear to be work prints, and are accompanied by clear 35mm film with parallel tracks in the center. I'm assuming that's some kind of mag stock?

My guess is that these are scenes, or even individual shots, that were left on the cutting room floor. He didn't save that many, so they obviously meant something to him. I'd love to have them transferred, so I could share them with our whole family.

So here's the question: Will a telecine house be able/willing to transfer positives (print stock)? I have always thought of telecine as a process reserved for the negative. Perhaps I'm wrong...

Will a telecine house be willing to splice a number of shorter pieces together to transfer? (Will their machines even accept spliced film?)

Lastly, please weigh in if you have an opinion on the format I should transfer this stuff too. I'd like, ideally, to be able to give it to my family in HD, since we'll probably all have HD sets by the end of this decade, and I want to do the film justice. But I don't want to waste money, either...

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:26 PM

Yes, a telecine can switch for positives (print or IP) easily.

As for splicing, I'd talk to them and see what they prefer.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

I assume you're related to Lindsay from this forum: http://www.cinematog...showtopic=26913

And that your dad is Delbert...

It'd be interesting to know what the footage is. Perhaps a cut scene or two from "Marty"!? In which case, perhaps MGM Home Entertainment would be interested in it.

#4 Jason Mann

Jason Mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Rockland, ME

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:18 PM

I assume you're related to Lindsay from this forum: http://www.cinematog...showtopic=26913

And that your dad is Delbert...

It'd be interesting to know what the footage is. Perhaps a cut scene or two from "Marty"!? In which case, perhaps MGM Home Entertainment would be interested in it.

Yes, Lindsay's my brother. Del was our grandfather (my dad's father.) He was a great guy.

I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't footage from Marty, because it's in color. I suspect that at least one of them is a scene from "Love Leads The Way", a film he made about the first seeing eye dog. And another looks like it's from his Disney film Night Crossing, starring John Hurt. (I should stipulate that I'm not going to sell any of this or rip off the films' distributors. I just want my family to be able to see the stuff he saved, and we don't have a lot of 35mm projectors lying around.)

Also, anyone want to recommend a favorite telecine house for something like this?

Thanks for the replies so far.

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 01 December 2007 - 05:11 PM

Yes, Lindsay's my brother. Del was our grandfather (my dad's father.) He was a great guy.

I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't footage from Marty, because it's in color. I suspect that at least one of them is a scene from "Love Leads The Way", a film he made about the first seeing eye dog. And another looks like it's from his Disney film Night Crossing, starring John Hurt. (I should stipulate that I'm not going to sell any of this or rip off the films' distributors. I just want my family to be able to see the stuff he saved, and we don't have a lot of 35mm projectors lying around.)

Also, anyone want to recommend a favorite telecine house for something like this?

Thanks for the replies so far.

jason,

If you are in Maine, may I suggest either National (they have a Shadow) or Finish (they have a Arri Scanner). Both are in Boston and would be an easier commute for you or your film. Both can deal with spliced film, but David is correct in that you should contact them first. Either one can output to HD, the Arriscan at Finish is the better of the two.

#6 Jason Mann

Jason Mann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Rockland, ME

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:30 PM

jason,

If you are in Maine, may I suggest either National (they have a Shadow) or Finish (they have a Arri Scanner). Both are in Boston and would be an easier commute for you or your film. Both can deal with spliced film, but David is correct in that you should contact them first. Either one can output to HD, the Arriscan at Finish is the better of the two.

Thanks Chris. That's a big help. I'll get in touch with both places.

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Opal

Glidecam

CineLab

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Broadcast Solutions Inc