2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Caffaro

Anthony Caffaro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 November 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hey I'm shooting this weekend, go to my production office to get mags for the BL. I've only done it with cores, that the film goes onto and then you take out and send to the lab. Well the little black object the core goes onto the office was missing because students usually send the core plus that to the lab. They gave me this thing (sorry I don't know the name) that you lock your film onto but they said I have to take the film off (a core doesn't fit onto this object) so I have to be extremely careful that it doesn?t unwound. The guy at checkout just told me to tell the lab that there's no core in the center of the film and I?ll be fine.

I always thought you had to send 400 feet with a core. So if you don't should I just make sure it?s tightly wound and notify the lab that no core is in?

#2 Alex Worster

Alex Worster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Film Loader

Posted 29 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

I hear most people call them "quick release cores". Make sure the film is as flush as possible with the quick release core before you clamp the end of the film on the take side or it could scratch against the inside of the mag and make some noise. Other than that they're super simple... just release the clamp, the roll will loosen slightly, then just pick it up so it all stays together and in the bag it goes. Don't tighten the roll or you'll scratch/ cinch the film, no good. Just make sure the lab knows there aren't any cores in the rolls.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:21 PM

Any they're right, so long as the lab knows there's no core (i usually write this on the can) it'll be fine.
Those cam stock in my ARRI SR3 Mags, but I changed them out for the standard core adapters just for simplicity's sake.
Look on the bright side, now you'll have a few extra cores to hang onto that otherwise would've been lab bound.
You have no idea how useful this can really be for those strange times when there is not a core to be found

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Abel Cine

Wooden Camera