#1 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:19 AM

I'm planning to visit Mexico soon & as part of my preparation I want to watch as many good films made in Mexico as possible. I've seen 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' - great film. Also I just borrowed 'Amores Perros' from the DVD library. I can't think of anything else. Ideally I'd like to see films that were made in Spanish, but anything that gives me a good look at the country & how people live will be useful.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 02 December 2007 - 09:51 AM

I'm planning to visit Mexico soon & as part of my preparation I want to watch as many good films made in Mexico as possible. I've seen 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' - great film. Also I just borrowed 'Amores Perros' from the DVD library..

For peasant life have a look at "Yanco". Shot in a village by Servando Gonzalez with many locals as actors and extras. I know about it because a friend of mine was on the crew, mostly PA and AC work but he also shot some of the film's footage.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0249259/

#3 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:52 PM

I'm planning to visit Mexico soon & as part of my preparation I want to watch as many good films made in Mexico as possible. I've seen 'Y Tu Mama Tambien' - great film. Also I just borrowed 'Amores Perros' from the DVD library. I can't think of anything else. Ideally I'd like to see films that were made in Spanish, but anything that gives me a good look at the country & how people live will be useful.

This list is curated by some one who has spent half his life in Mexico. There are some good movies made in the last ten years in Mexico, but I think the oldies are the best by far. My bent is towards culturally, politically and historically important movies, as evidenced below. In somewhat descending chronological order:

La ley de Herodes is a good political film that could teach you a thing or two about the political madness Mexico has gone through in the last forty years, ending with the 70 year rule of the PRI political party in 2001.

I would try to get Cabeza de Vaca. It is hard to find, but it is a great film about the conquest of Mexico by the Spanish. Potential plot spiler: Cabeza de Vaca was a Spanish conquistador that was captured by the natives and taken to the ways of what the Spanish called "savages". He becomes one of them eventually is found by some other Spanish soldiers. It's a great movie. I found it on Netflix here in the US on a fullscreen version, which is bad, but better than nothing.

Any movie by Jodorowski except El Topo and Fando & Liz, which -however good- were made in Mexico but could have been made anywhere. Santa Sangre and particularly Holy Mountain -which along with the above mention titles- have a heavy handed psych/ surrealist tone to them, are very true to what Mexico is, in the opinion of the French Surrealists that visited Mexico in the fifties: the only true Surrealist country.

Que Viva Mexico. A gorgeous B/W docu-drama made in the forties before the country even began to get industrialized. Along the lines of I am Cuba, a jewel of a movie.

The Rebelion of the Hanged. A classic movie made from a book by Traven about the exploitaion of the natives in Chiapas in the first half of the last century. Much of that still happens today. Great B/W cinematography.

La Perla. A true pearl of the Golden Age of Mexican Cinema in the forties with gorgeous cinematography
by Gabriel Figueroa and adapted by a book by John Steinbeck, who also wrote the screenplay.

Anything by Luis Bunuel of his Mexican period. Too many to list here: El, Viridiana, Los Olvidados, The Secret Life or Archibald de la Cruz, Simon of the Desert, Nazarin, The Exterminating Angel. Great movies all.

Mexico seen through the eyes of Hollywood:

The Night of the Iguana by John Huston with Ava Gardner and Richard Burton adapted of the play by Tennessee Williams.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, another John Huston great movie with Humphrey Bogart by another book by Traven.

There are some good Mexico scenes in The Lady from Shanghai, by Orson Welles.

Anyway, have fun watching any movie you decide to view!

#4 Michael Waite

Michael Waite
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

Thanks guys, I'll print those out & start looking. Not sure how easy some will be to find in Sydney. Anyway I can also try to see them in Mexico.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:50 AM

I just saw "Voces Inocentes", beautiful film. It's based in El Salvador, but made in Mexico :)

#6 Tom Lowe

Tom Lowe
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts
  • Director
  • somewhere worshipping Terrence Malick

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:03 AM

I'm waiting for Rodrigo to chime in! Not only can he recommend us some great Mexican pictures in terms of cinematography, Rodrigo probably DP'd or AC'd most of them himself!

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Abel Cine

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

CineLab