• Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:52 AM

http://marcwebb.com/...or - Better.mov

that or DNALA spent millions in post <_<

Does anyone know the DP? It was directed by Marc Webb.

thanks

Rolfe

#2 Matthew Parnell

Matthew Parnell
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • Electrician
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:21 PM

How is this the best use of daylight in a shoot? Please explain.

In terms of lighting all i can see is the use of a simple, standard setup consisting of a fairly heavy overhead and fill, not sure if the fill is from bounce or a lamp, she definitely has a nice clean eyelight in a few of the shots which points to a lamp. You can even see the shadow of the back/top of the frame in at least one of the shots.

#3 Tom Banks

Tom Banks
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 05 December 2007 - 07:56 PM

I especially like Chris Soos's work on Glosoli. I read an interview sometime back where he explained some of the making of. Apparently they shot with just a bare bones camera crew in Iceland for a few days with local kids playing the parts. Soos shot 35mm with just two anamorphics and a few filters. It's a wonderful music video that shows you don't need a bunch of fancy camera gimmicks to keep the audience entertained. Not once did Soos move the camera in Glosoli. The framing and use of Grad filters work together to create some really beautiful landscapes.

Anyone else have any information about this video?

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 December 2007 - 02:42 AM

There are a few shots there where it looks like she's in front of a greenscreen, composited into another composited shot with multiple copies of herself.

Honestly, to my eyes, and on such a small/compressed version of it, there seems to be some HMI work thrown in there. You can see it in her eyelights and the way the light is quite soft and frontal. I'm just guessing though.

#5 Valerio Sacchetto

Valerio Sacchetto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Student
  • Italy

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

The tree shot is surely lit and it doesn't seem (to me) that they used a mirror.

#6 Rolfe Klement

Rolfe Klement
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Director
  • London | LA

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:04 PM

there are 4 sunset shots - all from different positions etc - with no clouds - so the crew either moved really fast on one perfect day, or they shot it over multiple days of perfect cloudless weather or they had 4 camera set ups ready to go in place or they did it all in post.

Every shot is cloudless so they either took them all out in post or the crew moved really quickly - I waited 12 days in Nevada and 9 days in the Maldives once to get one perfectly cloudless day and nada...

Most crews I know take hours to move a camera round - especially on a hill - so my comments were related to best use of daylight on a shoot by a crew.

Next time you shoot on a hill with HMI's, generators etc ask the crew to move the camera down the hill and do it within a 6 min sunset window - you will see what I mean.

or maybe it was an average crew with days and days of pefect weather - but I think not...

thanks

Rolfe

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Opal

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport