#1 Alan Brown

Alan Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

The super 8 camera shop is selling a matte box (the EWA SK8 Compendium/Matte box) for $130 which it claims is compatible with Nizo, Bauer, and Canon super 8 cameras. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this particular matte box (camera compatibility, filter use etc) and can reccommend if its worth buying for a 1014XL-S!.

#2 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:41 PM

I don't know the EWA S8K matte box, but looking at the picture, the bellow and the rod construction as well as the mask and mattes supplied look identical to the Bauer Kompendium that was offered for the Bauer A 512 and Bauer S 715 XL microcomputer, and which also came in the Profi-Set and the Trick-Set respectively for those cameras. So it should accept lenses with 62mm diameter. The packaging shows a Bealieu 4008 ZM II with the Schneider 11x6mm, being a 62mm lens as well. The additional rig-rod is probably what is required to be used to mount it on that one (as the handgrip is off-horizon with its tripod thread).
I think it should mount well on a Canosound model with the rig-rod and the rods on the bellow holder.
... in theory... (covering my ass here ;) )

#3 Glenn Brady

Glenn Brady
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

While the Ewa S8 compendium is very light and adaptable to many different cameras, I found its construction a bit flimsy. There was a thread at another forum on this topic that you may find informative: http://www.filmshoot...=ewa compendium.

#4 Edward Koehler

Edward Koehler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:44 PM

The EWA S8K works well on the 1014xls, but it does block the power switch and you will need to use a tool to access the switch. It can be flimsy until you find the right mounting configuration, but even then it is still not very robust. I don't think there are instructions for mounting to a 1014xls, but it does work. When you get one, let us know if you have trouble finding the right configuration and I can post a pic.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Glidecam

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Opal

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC