Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:07 PM

sorry, misspelled stock in the title...

Dear experts, please look at the still, high cons, the wood is black, the ski totally burnt, the skin (a dark woman) perfect. First i thought it would be a blue filter, but that does not give nice contrast in the face. Not red as the ski is white...

Anyway, to get a similar effect, what should i use? Any combination (filter/stock/exposure) would be nicely welcomed. Many thanks!!!

Posted Image

Edited by Richardson Leao, 06 December 2007 - 06:08 PM.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

Anyway, to get a similar effect, what should i use? Any combination (filter/stock/exposure) would be nicely welcomed. Many thanks!!!

Notice the lighter area in the wood surrounding her face? It's possible a focused key light of some sort was used -or- a reflector was used -or- the photographer "dodged" the print in the darkroom to lighten that area -or - all three techniques were used and who knows what else. The overall photo is backlit but she's quite obviously front lit and/or the print was dodged. I'm not certain how the sky was blown out, it doesn't seem it was a hazy day since the shadows of the wood on the ground look sharp.

#3 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:18 PM

I agree with Hal that there are a couple of aspects involved that made the picture look like it is.

It would be interesting to now about the background of it, year of shooting (photosshopping or good old labwork à la Ansel Adams), still photography or "framegrab" from a motion picture (which would be more difficult to achieve visual consistency over a scene's length) etc.

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Ritter Battery