Photo

BOLLYWOOD STYLE SONG PICTURIZATION (HOW TO)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Pepi Singh Khara

Pepi Singh Khara

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:13 PM

Curious to see if anyone has been a part of a Bollywood movie song sequence picturization ??? Am about to film a short musical film this winter and want to know the steps involved.... how to break down the music, how to plan for the shots, how to get coverage, pick ups etc etc. Any advice, links, tips are very welcome.

Pepi Singh Khara
Maryland / USA.

#2 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:06 PM

Take a class in Pre-Production and Production, or search for specifics in these and other forums.

Your inquiry is far too broad to answer in just one thread.

#3 Pepi Singh Khara

Pepi Singh Khara

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:53 AM

Take a class in Pre-Production and Production, or search for specifics in these and other forums.

Your inquiry is far too broad to answer in just one thread.

Jonathan,
Sorry for writing a bit vague.... I'll elaborate a bit..... I have 3 ultra low budget indie. features to my credit as Director/DP - planning a 4th on super 16mm very soon.... (due to budget reasons, am using the Russian K3.... yes, I know it sounds like a sewing machine but my styliazed film is not dialogue heavy and I plan to have my actors loop the lines on location - right after the take, with camera not running - as did Robert Rodriguez in "El Mariachi").

Question - Bollywood movies usually have 5-6 songs in each one of them. Has anyone been around during the shooting of Bollywood song?

Q: I have a 3 minute musical track to which I want to picturize my actors who will mouth the words to appear as if they are singing the track on screen. Anyone got any ADVANCED tips on this? ie. how does one effectively break down the music, plan for the shots etc etc.... YET OBTAIN COVERAGE AND CONTINUITY ON FINAL EDIT.

Thx.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:32 AM

I don't see how it would be any different than a normal sequence.
You just add in audio playback, and record the on set audio somewhere to help with syncing later on
With a K3 you're in trouble because it's non sync. Why not just pick up an older ACL or NPR that's been S16mm switched.
There's even a S16mm bolex for sale here which would probably save a lot of headaches later on
Also, on a K3, you're limited to 100ft loads, not exactly the best for a feature unless you plan on having not a single shot more than 20 seconds (wind time) and want to change loads exceedingly often.

#5 Aliakbar Campwala

Aliakbar Campwala
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:10 PM

hi Pepi.

I have shot bollywood style sequences before, its easy but hard to elaborate here in a post , plan your shots , get your lip moving characters dance to it, shoot them all in different sequences, and then jus lay them in different manner during the editing as your audio goes . pick the best angles and shots of the lip movers and there u go for a random sequence shot but a bollywood audio song in order.

Ali

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio