New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other
  • Southern CA

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:23 PM

Hello filmmakers.

I am interested in getting into the film making industry, and in need of some guidance. A little bit about myself; i am a professional photographer, shooting editorial and commercial work. You can see my work here: http://www.jhophotography.com/

My question is, and i am sure this has come up a lot on this forum, but should i go to film school, or just take the intern/ assistant route? I have shot some people in the film making world, and thought why not just network, and see where i can possibly get an internship, or an assistant job. I am shooting Allan Loeb next week http://imdb.com/find...e...p;x=21&y=11 , we are going to shoot on the set of a pilot he is producing, and was just going to ask if an internship is open, or any kind of assisting job. I am interested in cinematography and possibly producing films.

Another option is going to school, I am considering attending the LA Film school. Has any of you attended that school? Or have any comments on other schools around the LA area?

Really appreciate all of your inputs!

Jon h0

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:41 PM

I started when I was 10 working with my dad before he passes doing local shoots, commercial/industrial/studio, mostly on video and some on film here and again. Then I went to film school, which I finished (BA Temple University, this year) and I'm finishing a BA in Anthropology.
it's really only a question you can answer for you. Both have benefits and drawbacks. If you can combine the two, IMHO, you're probably set.
One thing I can say about this industry is that I don't feel it really matters how you get there, so long as oyu have the integrity, talent, and professionalism to utilize your contact base, which you'll accumulate in either route, and consistently produce improved work.
It's a long hard road, though. I only this year, only this month, got a pay gig as a DP. Even then, it's $200 for a weekend and I'm bringing my own lights; but it's a start, and a rap video I'm really looking forward to (though shuddering at the thought of the HVX).
Work hard in whichever way you choose and it will pay off you for. Keep your head up. Keep learning and asking questions. Help people when you can and offer advice/insight when you think it's appropriate (i.e. not on set if you're a PA).
I think you have to prostitute yourself a bit no matter what you do. And for awhile you might really dislike or be bored by what you're working on. NEVER let that change your positive attitude or suck your energy.
Now, sit back and think, which route might be best for you? Do you work well in an academic structure or do you like hands on learning or learning by watching/emulating what others do? Think it over for a bit.

#3 Mike Lary

Mike Lary
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:44 PM

People have taken the time to answer this question many times over. You should take the time to use the search tool and read what's already been written.

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

The Slider