Maty Grosman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

Hi everyone,

I have some footage shot for a documentary that, due to conditions, varies between HD & SD. Can I reconcile the two standards to be used in a single project? I imagine it is possible to degrade the HD footage to SD, but is there any method by which I could upgrade the SD footage to HD? (Seems like a long shot, but I thought I might ask...)

Any advice would be greatyl appreciated, Thanks!

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:10 AM

Where is it going? Is it going to HD broadcast? If so you can do uprezzing and line doubling and make footage work. If it is not going to HD broadcast, you'd be better off downrezing your HD to SD in most cases.

#3 Maty Grosman

Maty Grosman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:02 PM

By "uprezzing" and "line doubling", do you mean increasing the resolution by duplicating existing pixels? If so, how would I do that? (I'm a bit out of my tree here; so if I'm way off, could you please explain the concepts?) Also, if I were to go with uprezzing the SD, how significantly noticeable a difference would there be between the upgraded SD footage and the genuine HD?

Thanks again!

#4 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:45 PM

It's called scaling. Scaling allows one to unprez footage to higher forms of resolution. There are a variety of scalers from simple plug ins that work pretty well with editing software to sophisticated stand alone devices found in post production houses that have proprietary algorithms that do very elaborate, high quality scaling. It all depends on how much you can afford, and how much you know. I would not suggest attempting something on your own if it is new to you. Give more detail as to what type of footage it was(formats)and what types of cameras used.

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio