#1 Corey Eisenstein

Corey Eisenstein

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:28 AM

Hi, first time user of the HDX900 here, in preproduction testing a few different looks for a dramatic narrative project. I know that it is possible to download and transfer scene files to the camera through an SD card, just wondering if anyone has any different looks saved that they would like to share. I see that the Panasonic website has a bunch of downloads for the SDX, but I can't find any for the HDX. Any other words of wisdom about Matrix, gamma settings, etc would be appreciated. Thanks,

Corey

#2 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hi, first time user of the HDX900 here, in preproduction testing a few different looks for a dramatic narrative project. I know that it is possible to download and transfer scene files to the camera through an SD card, just wondering if anyone has any different looks saved that they would like to share. I see that the Panasonic website has a bunch of downloads for the SDX, but I can't find any for the HDX. Any other words of wisdom about Matrix, gamma settings, etc would be appreciated. Thanks,

Corey

Corey,

I don't have any SD files for this camera, but I do have some words of wisdom :rolleyes:

If you don't know how to adjust the matrix and color correction menus, leave them set at zero or turn them off. The camera will create very pleasing images in this set up. These controls really require a DSC "Chroma Du Monde" chip chart to aim at while watching the result on a monitor and vector-scope. I would be hesitant to just trust someone else's set up here unless I wanted some unusual effect that their set up achieved.

As for gamma settings there will be two settings in this camera I think. The "master gamma" which is set flat at .45 and the custom gamma curves called "cinelike1" "cinelikeD" etc. Experiment with these curves to see if you like them and when you'd want to use them.

On the master gamma setting, when you increase the number from .45, you darken the mid-tones and when you decrease the number you lighten the mid-tones. Be careful that decreasing this number can also add visible noise to the image, as when increasing master gain settings.

That's all my words of wisdom. Please test the camera at the rental facility before going out on your shoot...

-bruce

Opal

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery