Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:34 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to the Mac world, and have been trying to use Final Cut Pro suite to create a down-converted letter-boxed SD-DVD from my DVCPRO 720p footage. Current work-flow was to import my final HD movie into Compressor, and export a file using the MPEG-2 preset for SD-DVD. From there, I've been using DVD Studio Pro to export to DVD. The final DVD is letter-boxed, but looks stretched, and the sides of the image are still slightly cropped.

Anyone have experience exporting an HD file from FCP to an SD DVD? Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 09 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

Skip one step. Forget compressor. Not necessary and DVD studio pro has a better render engine. Render your timeline in FCP. Then export/quicktime movie and use the same settings as the timeline. Import that file to DVD Studio Pro. Make your menu and point to this track which you imported. Make sure to click "16x9 pan scan letter box" for both your menu and your video file in the "display mode" option in the inspector so your DVD knows what to do depending on your monitor. Make your DVD.

#3 Andre LeBlanc

Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be working for me. I've tried exporting a movie out of FCP at pretty much every aspect ratio, and whenever I export to DVD and view it on the television, it's slightly squished vertically, and cropped on the left and right. Something's wrong somewhere in my methodology. Should I be exporting a quicktime movie that matches the original specifications of the footage (DVCPRO 720p, square pixels). Or should I be down-converting in FCP to an NTSC resolution movie before I bring it into DVD Studio?? It seems like I can be making a mistake at many different levels. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

#4 Andre LeBlanc

Andre LeBlanc
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 December 2007 - 05:05 AM

OK, cool, I've got it working now... and a small pile of improperly formatted DVDs :)

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post