Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:26 PM

Hello.

As you may or may not know I have four rolls of Kodak EXR 100T (7248). what I'd like to know is the opinions of people with expirience of this stock. How good is the colour/contrast? How grainy is it? What the exposure latitude? Will it react well to being underexposed a stop or so? Any any other info I may need to know, as I am going to fully meter and even light professionally the shots this film will be used for.

Thanks.

#2 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:10 PM

he has some contrast and saturation, but much less from the old 50D (7245), it's a great stock for exteriors, if you just want your shot's to be finer grain.
of course you can under expose 1 stop and even more, it's a negative film... just shoot and have fun, and if you make some mistakes so good for you! it mean that you are learning something not just doing something.

cheers,

Oron.

#3 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:05 PM

Thanks a lot, Oron. I'm looking very forward to getting away from wishy washy VISION2. :P

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

OK, I have as more advanced qustion here; how far would reckon EXR 100T can be underexposed for the purpose of snappier colours before it begins to suffer aesthetically? Whatever that may entail.

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:56 PM

Hi again.

I noticed I haven't covered sometihng I wanted to discuss. What level of underexposure would you reckon is the level where this stock will begin to look underexposed? And not just richer. Or is this variable depending upon the ambience of the scene?

Thanks.

P.S: I am sorry to all moderators for this 'three-in-a-row'. Please don't delete my post, I'll try not to let it happen again.

#6 Jarin Blaschke

Jarin Blaschke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

'48 is/was a wonderful stock, with a beautiful color palette, dimensional and solid contrast not since matched by newer stocks in my opinion. It is unmistakably film, with a nice subtle grain texture by today's standards. Quantifiably you could call it inferior to contemporary films, but subjectively, wins hands-down for my tastes. I think it has been discontinued for a few years; hopefully your supply has been well stored. You might want to rate it at 64, just to print through any slight base fog it might have acquired over the years. Rating as such when it was new gave great results.

-Jarin

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 02 January 2008 - 02:21 AM

Underexposing color negative stock per se does not give you richer colors; in fact, slightly overexposing the negative stock generally gives the image more snap and better blacks, and thus better colors.

What's confusing is that when shooting under colored lighting, you want to underexpose the light to retain the saturation of the light. So someone standing under a red light, for example, may be a stop or two below key (normal) exposure.

Slightly underexposing reversal stock, however, does give you more saturation and deeper blacks. But EXR 100T is a negative stock.

#8 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 January 2008 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for clearing a few things up both of you. ;) It's reasurring to know it's such a beautiful stock, not that I didn't know that, I wouldn't have bought it if I hadn't known that, but to have it clarified so eloquently is very nice. :) I'll also expose at 64, which'll give me a chance to use the Sunny 16 rule.

Thanks for your tip, David. I though underexposure generally produced richer hues, it's a shame I've already underexposed six previous negative rolls. I also have 50ft of EXR 50D in 16mm, I'll see if I can give that a whirl.

Happy Ney Year!

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Opal

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Glidecam