jeff c

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Director

Posted 11 December 2007 - 03:27 AM

Hi all,

Just finished shooting my graduate film on super 16. Unfortunately, production went over budget and we are a tiny bit stretched for cash.

We are transferring from super16 to hdcam sr. The tapes if bought new would cost around $300. We actually have access to stock but it has been used once previously.

Would this still be okay for the transfer? What do we need to do before hand? Black them? Degauss them?

Also - another quick side question. What would be the best format for our offline? I would like to be able to edit on my macbook pro. I was told mini-dv is unreliable even with a timecode burn and I should be looking at dvcam or betasp.

Would DVCAM work fine?

Thanks all,
Jeff

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11939 posts
  • Other

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:10 AM

> Would this still be okay for the transfer?

Almost certainly.

> What do we need to do before hand? Black them? Degauss them?

Nothing. You don't want to wear them any more than they're already worn - although the transfer house may look at you funny.

> What would be the best format for our offline?

I don't know. How many beans make five?

> I would like to be able to edit on my macbook pro.

Something undemanding then!

> I was told mini-dv is unreliable even with a timecode burn

Yes. They told you that because they want you to pay for a more expensive format, or they just don't really know how to do it to DV. There's absolutely nothing wrong with DV and it supports timecode reliably.

> and I should be looking at dvcam or betasp.

DVCAM is effectively identical - the only difference is what facilities a typical DVCAM deck has on it. If you get your offlines to mini-sized DVCAM, most Sony miniDV devices will play them back anyway (try it). That may well be the way to go. They will tell you you can only play back DVCAM tapes in devices marked DVCAM. They are wrong.

BetaSP is an expensive dinosaur and well worth avoiding.

Phil

#3 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:12 PM

I don't know. How many beans make five?
Phil

Eight... if you eat three of them.

With a MacBook Pro, you should make proxy files in either DVCPro HD or ProRes 422 HQ, maintaining frame accuracy with the HDCAM SR masters.

#4 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1584 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:31 AM

> I was told mini-dv is unreliable even with a timecode burn

Yes. They told you that because they want you to pay for a more expensive format, or they just don't really know how to do it to DV. There's absolutely nothing wrong with DV and it supports timecode reliably.

I am one of those people who recommend a "professional" (non DV) format for film matchback keycode reading. It is not because we make more on DvCam or Beta tape but the amount of trouble I have seen with people trying to use DV for matchback cutting.

The only professional decks which accept external timecode in (LTC) for MiniDV are JVC's BR-600 and the newer 6000, we have a 600 it is not the most reliable deck and is basically unserviceable "prosumer" IMO all Sony and Panasonic recorders disable timecode in for DV record mode. Most DV equipment will only deal with drop frame timecode for NTSC you can set the JVC deck to non-drop but I have seen various cameras people try to use have problems with non drop timecode.

Add to this cross compatibility issues between various cheapo dv gear it just turns messy the tape stock is just a few more bucks and if you want just run DV 63min tapes in Dvcam mode for 40 min each and the cost is the same.

-Rob-

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

The Slider

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly