5 replies to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:21 AM

So this is a basic question but I don't know exactly what to do. I come from a digital world.

I recently shot some super 8mm and sent it to get developed but it came back still looking like the negative. So I need to know what I should tell them when I send it back. Basically, all I want is to be able to watch the footage on my projector. What kind of print do I ask for? And to get this on a digital tape, how is that done?

Thanks

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:29 AM

So this is a basic question but I don't know exactly what to do. I come from a digital world.

I recently shot some super 8mm and sent it to get developed but it came back still looking like the negative. So I need to know what I should tell them when I send it back. Basically, all I want is to be able to watch the footage on my projector. What kind of print do I ask for? And to get this on a digital tape, how is that done?

Thanks

I'm guessing you shot colour negative fim. If you shot reversal such as ektachrome 64T or the black and white stocks, then you could watch it right away. It's not common to make prints in S8 but Andec in Germany do it and people tell me the results are nice so you might want to try them. I'm not sutre where you are based tho so maybe there might be a solution closer to home but I only know of Andec.

love

Freya

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:46 AM

It is SO uncommon to make Super-8 prints that generally if you want to project, you shoot reversal, otherwise shooting negative Super-8 is strictly for when you want to convert to digital.

#4 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

Jase,

info on the actual film stock you filmed with might have been helpful.

To expand on Freya's and David's points:

If you shot on 7217 (V2-200) or 7218 (V2-500), then you shot on color negative which is aimed at doing a telecine or going to DI straight-away (basically after processing, as any dirt getting on the original reel through handling it outside of lab conditions will seriously jeopordise viewability). Here in Europe, the two serious labs that develop Vision2 Super 8 cartridges offer this service regularly: Todd-AO in London, and ANDEC Filmtechnik in Berlin. Spectra is the address to go on the US West Coast, I gather.

As Freya said, ANDEC is offering additionally the possibility to make a one-light-graded emulsion-up contact print from your negative films on triacetate-based Kodak EXR Print Film (7386) straight-away after processing. This one can be projected, cut and even have added soundstriping with Commag 1 and Commag 2 to record a soundtrack on. It can also be done on polyester print film (actually, that one is the default option), but you can't splice it with Kodak kit and there are problems with soundstriping it (as you might know from Fuji's Single 8 format). All this comes at a price but I gather from others that the results are quite beautiful. I shall give it a try myself should I find spare time (and spare money) for such an exclusive test.

If you want to project your film straight-away, I suggest to use reversal films, above all the outstainding 7265 (Plus-X) or 7266 (Tri-X) for B&W. If you want to shoot color reversal, you can buy 7280 (E-64) from basically anywhere in cine-film retailing and develop it at many labs on this little planet. You can also buy 7285 (E-100) from ANDEC and develop it there, too.

Soonish, Fuji Velvia 50 D (short: V-50) will be offered (again) for Super 8, but the sales channels are not yet clarified, and that film stock will be sold in a modified film cartridge that hasn't ended its prototype testing yet.

Check out the Super 8 forum here for infos on all that.

#5 Michael Lehnert

Michael Lehnert
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1086 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK / Basel, CH

Posted 12 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

Jase,

I compiled a little thread a while ago (and expand it regularly) with the intention to have a "sticky FAQ"-like reference collection (as other forums have it already) in the Super 8 subforum for "newbies" (esp. from the digital realm) to read through first.
But as we don't have a moderator there and Tim is way too busy to be approached about such things, we have to bump it up again and again to keep it on the first page ? not ideal, but hey, effort and passion go hand in hand.

Please find it using this hyperlink:
http://www.cinematog...showtopic=26088

If you follow up on those leads, I hope you might get a good overview on the current stand of things as far as the Super 8 format is concerned.

-Michael

#6 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:30 PM

Great, thanks everyone. I sent everything to alphacine in seattle but they don't do transfers, so is there somewhere else near by I can get this done at?

Cheers,

Jase

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Opal