Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:33 PM

Hello good folks,

Just how many types of Eyemo lens mounts are there and what are they? My Arri standards don't fit my Gianini (Eyemo based) but I see them listed as fitting both on Ebay. Could I have the 1.4" mount instead of the usual 1.5"?

#2 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 December 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hello good folks,

Just how many types of Eyemo lens mounts are there and what are they? My Arri standards don't fit my Gianini (Eyemo based) but I see them listed as fitting both on Ebay. Could I have the 1.4" mount instead of the usual 1.5"?

Hello Paul,
To the best of my knowledge there are at least two different mounts, one for the single lens Eyemo and one for the spider turret model.

#3 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:41 PM

Thanks Marc.

I got out the dial calipers and measured both the Gianini and the Arri IIB. The Gianini, Eyemo mount is 1.5". The Arri is 1.62". I guess this plus your statement indicates that the Spider turret takes the 1.62" and the other Eyemos take the 1.5" Am I barking up the right tree?

#4 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 December 2007 - 03:09 AM

Thanks Marc.

I got out the dial calipers and measured both the Gianini and the Arri IIB. The Gianini, Eyemo mount is 1.5". The Arri is 1.62". I guess this plus your statement indicates that the Spider turret takes the 1.62" and the other Eyemos take the 1.5" Am I barking up the right tree?

I don't think Arri standard lenses work with the Eyemo. Beside the mount barrel size there is also a FFD issue. Unless I am completely wrong.

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 17 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

Might as well add the add the Konvas OST-18 mt, same design as the Arri but 57mm dia.

Definetely barking up the wrong tree. If you want to put an Arri lens on an Eyemo, replace the Spiper turret with an Arri std. mount.

ANYWAY searching for the differences between Eyemo mounts, we found:

David Venhaus
Feb 16 2007, 04:43 AM Post #2

I have run into something similar to this. I have used two different model K (the ones with a single lens mount) Eyemo's, one with a small round base and one with the larger squarish base. I tried four different lenses with them and only three worked on both. The only difference in the lens mounts is the metal prong that is inside the lens mount, that keeps the lens from turning when focusing. The only reason that the one lens won't fit is because the prong is further forward and the part of the lens that goes into the mount is longer, so it stops before being set in the proper place. I haven't tried those lenes on a turret-type Eyemo so I don't know if there is other issues with those beside what the manual says.

David Venhaus
Feb 16 2007, 05:20 AM Post #3

Looked it up in an Eyemo manual, the lenses that have the longer section that goes in the lens mount is called a Type "A" and ones that are shorter are Type "C". Type "A" is for model K (which isn't always true, as I mentioned in the above post) and Type "C" is for all other models.

So there is no difference in the outer dimensions of the two Eyemo mounts, rather an interior pin length is the difference.

#6 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 December 2007 - 06:52 PM

Thanks Marc.

No, the original Arri mount has nothing to do with the Eyemo except for a similarity of design in that they both focus by rotating part of the lens within the camera, with a constraining tounge design.

The Eyemo was designed in 1927 in the USA, the Arri in 1937 in Germany. Arri never intended their mount to be interchangeable with Bell & Howell's. Though compatability might at first seem to be an advantage, Arri had an excellent reason not to go that route. The Eyemo uses a simple flat shutter parallel to the film plane and quite close to it. The Arri mirror shutter at 45 degrees to the film plane has to extend fairly far from the aperture, and might well collide with lenses that were designed for the Eyemo. By going with their own mount, they could protect the cameras from potential shutter damage.

-- J.S.

#7 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:33 PM

No, the original Arri mount has nothing to do with the Eyemo except for a similarity of design in that they both focus by rotating part of the lens within the camera, with a constraining tounge design.

The Eyemo was designed in 1927 in the USA, the Arri in 1937 in Germany. Arri never intended their mount to be interchangeable with Bell & Howell's. Though compatability might at first seem to be an advantage, Arri had an excellent reason not to go that route. The Eyemo uses a simple flat shutter parallel to the film plane and quite close to it. The Arri mirror shutter at 45 degrees to the film plane has to extend fairly far from the aperture, and might well collide with lenses that were designed for the Eyemo. By going with their own mount, they could protect the cameras from potential shutter damage.

-- J.S.

Hello John,

I never stated the different Eyemo mount lenses were a different diameter, just not all Eyemo lenses interchanged between the spider turret and single lens Eyemos.

I have a really nice spider turret model with two motors and the 4-400 foot mags. It also came with three extra lenses that didn't fit my camera. My buddy and I found the pin was the only difference after much measuring.

The set of lenses on the camera have a color cast to them and are only good for B&W anymore after testing.

I considered a Nikon or Canon FD mount but the camera is in such good shape I can't bring myself to do irreversible modifications when I have other 35mm cameras available.

I wish modern lenses were available for my Eyemo. I learned on a Filmo and I thought the Eyemo would be cool for grabbing some shots.

Cheers,
Marc

#8 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:18 AM

Leo,

Thanks for the info. It's a relief to finally know what's what on this Gianini's lens mount.

Marc,

What are the measurements on the tongue on the two mounts. If I can get that info then I can measure mine and know which I have. As well, do you have a 50mm and or 75mm you could spare? I'm trying to make this Gianini into a film recorder and I still need lenses.

Thanks,
Paul

#9 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:07 AM

Leo,

Thanks for the info. It's a relief to finally know what's what on this Gianini's lens mount.

Marc,

What are the measurements on the tongue on the two mounts. If I can get that info then I can measure mine and know which I have. As well, do you have a 50mm and or 75mm you could spare? I'm trying to make this Gianini into a film recorder and I still need lenses.

Thanks,
Paul

I'll dig them out and let you know. Unfortunately I can't help you with th 50mm and 75mm, the extra lenses were all longer.
Cheers,
Marc

#10 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:37 AM

The set of lenses on the camera have a color cast to them and are only good for B&W anymore after testing.

Cheers,
Marc

Could you not correct for the colour cast in telecine? (assuming you are not making prints?)
It seems sad that you can't use the Eyemo.

love

Freya

#11 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:53 AM

As has been said the Eymax mount is a completely different diameter from OCT18 and Arri Standard. It is much smaller.

AFAIK the diameter doen't change on the lenses at all whatever model and I suspect that the differences between Eymax lens mounts are minor (but enough to be a problem).

You have to watch out for people on e-bay. I often see headings that imply that a lens will work with various cameras when there's little truth to it. People just trying to make a sale. Sometimes they are trying to imply that the lens could be modified to use on those cameras but othertimes they are just being dishonest or don't actually know.

I was once sold a lens as being OCT18 but when it arrived it was clearly some bizzare mount I'd never seen before (or since) and when I explained this to the seller they got really hufty about it all. They said they didn't know anything about lens mounts and someone else had told them they had thought it was OCT18. I suggested they shouldn't have said it was OCt18 if they didn't actually know and should have instead provided clearer pictures so the buyer could make up their own mind. Not a good experience. I still have the lens, it will make a good paper weight. ;)

love

Freya

#12 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:19 PM

I was once sold a lens as being OCT18 but when it arrived it was clearly some bizzare mount I'd never seen before (or since) ....

Can you post some pictures and dimensions? Perhaps somebody here can identify it.

-- J.S.

#13 Marc Alucard

Marc Alucard
  • Sustaining Members
  • 176 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:42 PM

Marc,

Thanks,
Paul

The lenses that fit my 71-Q Spider turret have a .182" notch and key assembly. The ones that didn't fit were slightly larger if I remember correctly.

#14 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 December 2007 - 06:28 PM

Can you post some pictures and dimensions? Perhaps somebody here can identify it.

-- J.S.

That's a really intresting idea. It could be a fun project, guess the mystery lens mount!
However as it is a lomo lens, I suspect Olex will be the only one who might have some idea.

It's a preety odd mount in a way as there is a strange bit that extends out back but is sort of cut in half, presumably to allow for a rotating mirror to pass under!

I'll have to dig out the lens which obviously I've packed out the way somewhere, so I might not get about to it till the new year!

love

Freya

#15 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 22 December 2007 - 02:57 PM

I considered a Nikon or Canon FD mount but the camera is in such good shape I can't bring myself to do irreversible modifications when I have other 35mm cameras available.

I wish modern lenses were available for my Eyemo. I learned on a Filmo and I thought the Eyemo would be cool for grabbing some shots.

A company in NYC that no longer exists, maybe NCE, made M42=>Eyemo adapters.
If you ever come across a Takumar with an Eyemo mount, it has one of those adapters screwed on it.

They also made M42 adapters for NC/Std., 2709 and Wall.

They exisit, but where?

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

The Slider

Glidecam

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc