2 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 14 December 2007 - 02:54 PM

I have an Arri 16 S/B and will be shooting at the beach when the warmer weather hits, but I figured I'd ask this question way ahead of time.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect my camera from getting any sand in it. I shot with it at the beach once before and just lucked out, but I'd rather not tempt fate. I don't have a mag...I just shoot 100' daylight rolls. But I prefer to keep the camera body protected with something (especially if there is a mild wind.)

Any ideas/experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

#2 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:05 PM

The body will be fine, it's inside the chamber and the lenses themselves that you need to worry about.

Load it away from the beach if at all possible, or inside a car or tent if you have to reload in windy conditions (brush/blow sand away from the body before opening the camera). As for lenses, if it's really windy and there's fine sand it can eventually work its way into the moving parts of the lens. Not much you can do about it other than wrap up the camera really well. Don't use compressed air to blow sand off the lens barrel; you'll just force the sand into the lens the way. But if it's calm, you shouldn't have to take any extraordinary precautions.

#3 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:46 AM

The body will be fine, it's inside the chamber and the lenses themselves that you need to worry about.

Load it away from the beach if at all possible, or inside a car or tent if you have to reload in windy conditions (brush/blow sand away from the body before opening the camera). As for lenses, if it's really windy and there's fine sand it can eventually work its way into the moving parts of the lens. Not much you can do about it other than wrap up the camera really well. Don't use compressed air to blow sand off the lens barrel; you'll just force the sand into the lens the way. But if it's calm, you shouldn't have to take any extraordinary precautions.

Yup. Those are pretty much the procedures I followed when I shot there last. Thanks, Michael.

Visual Products

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

Technodolly

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

CineLab

Abel Cine

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal