#1 andrew heggli

andrew heggli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Student

Posted 14 December 2007 - 09:38 PM

Hi all

Been watching clips, trailers and tv spots from Sweeney Todd, and in one scene where Mr. Depp sings "I will have vengeance, i will have salvation", his face is in the trailers very pale and white, but in the clips or tv spots (can't remember which) the same scene, his face is more "normal" coloured. Have they changed this in Lustre? Or some other digital grading software?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 December 2007 - 10:34 PM

Were these all viewed on the same monitor? The difference in calibration (or, more likely, lack thereof) can easily change the image that much.

#3 andrew heggli

andrew heggli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

Yep, all viewed on the same monitor.

#4 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

Saw the film last night and my comment is a little O.T. from this thread. It appeared that none of the art department crew or set decorators where familiar with horses or considered what the streets were like when horses where the primary means of transportation. The cobblestone streets in the film were conspicuously clean and anyone who has been to a stable or seen a parade with horses in it can testify to their prodigous output.

#5 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

Saw the film last night and my comment is a little O.T. from this thread. It appeared that none of the art department crew or set decorators where familiar with horses or considered what the streets were like when horses where the primary means of transportation. The cobblestone streets in the film were conspicuously clean and anyone who has been to a stable or seen a parade with horses in it can testify to their prodigous output.

You were hoping for realism in a Tim Burton fantasy/horror/musical?

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 06 January 2008 - 06:50 PM.

#6 Adamo P Cultraro

Adamo P Cultraro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Producer

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:40 PM

I'll see this flick cause I see just about all of them, but I'm not looking forward to another dark, washed out color Tim Burton Epic. He really needs to find a new look or at least try something different.

#7 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

You were hoping for realism in a Tim Burton fantasy/horror/musical?

No, but I was expecting a realistic recreation of a time period in London. The scenic department did a great job with the overall look of the city and the buildings. I just saw it as another example where members of certain department(s) can spoil the illusion by their lack of knowledge.

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:56 PM

No, but I was expecting a realistic recreation of a time period in London. The scenic department did a great job with the overall look of the city and the buildings. I just saw it as another example where members of certain department(s) can spoil the illusion by their lack of knowledge.

I really doubt that on a film of that budget that dirtying things up was just overlooked. I have to think that it was a conscious choice.

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery