Photo

Connecting Color Correction Monitor To My G5 (Help Please)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Javier Calderon

Javier Calderon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Other
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hello everyone. I'm getting ready to begin color correction on a DV feature I've just finished audio post on. I have a Macintosh dual 2Gig G5. It's an early G5 that has PC133 slots, however, and is NOT HD compatible or ready. I cannot use an HD video card (AJA, etc) or an HD monitor for cc - and simply cannot afford an AJA IO - so I'm going to work with SD. In the research I've done it looks like the JVC DT V1710CGU - a 17" monitor that is said to have decent critical color correction capabilities is what I might purchase (here's a link to one)

http://images.google...htt...s=en&sa=N

How would I be able to get my video out to the monitor using my G5? The reason I ask this is because, simple as I thought it was, when I went to purchase the actual monitor and the tech tried to use it to see video from his laptop . . . it didn't work.

He plugged from the computer to the JVC monitor using a DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA to RGB cable (the DVI end of the adapter being connected to the computer) and connected that RGB end of the cable into the JVC.

He tried a lot of different monitor formats in his laptop to try to conform the computer's signal for the JVC, but nothing seemed to work. I myself have a Sony DVMC-DA2 analogue to digital media converter that I used to get video from the G5 to view on an external television set. The media converter is connected to the G5 via fire wire, and then connect to the tv using RCA cables, but the tech said that you DON'T want to connect the JVC monitor using RCA cables (composite . . . right?). He said use RGB cables (component).

Does anyone know, again, how to be able to get the JVC DT V1710CGU to output video from my G5 (Final Cut Pro specifically)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Javier Calderon

Edited by Javier Calderon, 15 December 2007 - 05:37 PM.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11944 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

If it's a DV feature why do you need HD monitoring? Finish it as uncompressed standard-def and work from there.

If you really do want to finish it to HD, is there some special Apple Mac reason you can't put a Decklink HD PCI-X in one of the big PCI slots? Obviously you'd also need suitable storage, but I wonder what you mean when you say "not HD compatible."

Phil

#3 Javier Calderon

Javier Calderon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Other
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 15 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

Thank you for the response, Phil. No, no, I have no interest in extending this DV project to HD areas. None. My computer is not capable of doing that (in and of itself) anyway. I'm trying to figure out how to connect it as SD from the computer to the jvc monitor.

I just found out that my Sony converter deck has S-video out, and that, this being superior to my rca/composite connections, might be okay. I wonder, however . . . is an S-Video connection going to the JVC monitor suitable to perform critical color correction? - even on a DV project?

Thanks again for responding,
Javier Calderon

#4 Walter Graff

Walter Graff
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Other
  • New York City

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:19 PM

"DVI to VGA adapter connected to a VGA to RGB cable (the DVI end of the adapter being connected to the computer) and connected that RGB end of the cable into the JVC."

Most of the time these RGB cables are not properly wired when plugged into a DVI cable. Have seen it with most all of them myself.

#5 Javier Calderon

Javier Calderon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Other
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the response, Walter. I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean, however. Are you, therefore, saying that one CAN see external video from the G5 to the JVC monitor by going Computer>DVI to VGA adapter>VGA to RGB cable>JVC monitor?

Glidecam

CineTape

Technodolly

CineLab

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Opal

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc