1 reply to this topic

#1 Benjamin Cameron

Benjamin Cameron
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

i have a couple of projects lined up that will take me into deep pacific coast forests to shoot mainly documentary-type stuff. i shoot with an aaton xtrprod (pl mount). does anyone have any recommendations for any lenses that would be suited for these environments (deep shadows/ spots of sun, the challenge of bringing out detail on tree trunks etc. while not blowing grain out everywhere)? the one lens i do have is a canon 7-63 zoom, but i have yet to try it out in these conditions. further, low light/fog/overcast skies are also a prospect for these projects. i know that zooms can lose image quality when all the way open, so would i be better off with a couple of primes? i have been thinking about wider lenses. i am after more of a naturalistic look, not necessarily "perfect", clean, crisp, and professional, but more immediate and earthy, while not sacrificing too much overall image quality. in these projects, the important thing is to depict the forests as what they are, impartial to humanity, so i don't want an especially "textbook" look.

i hope all this gives some background for my aesthetics. i know about the importance of proper lenses, and would like to hear some other ideas on this. thanks.

Edited by Benjamin Cameron, 15 December 2007 - 10:11 PM.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

I really like my 9.5MM optar illumina. It's a T1.3 and sharp as a tack with very deep depth of field. It will, however, distort the of the trees as it is so wide. Also the 25MM Optar I have is nice as are a lot of the older Cookes. The older Cookes are "softer" than their newer cousins, and I feel err more towards warm tones (like bark). That's just my very humble opinion, as I am in no way as well versed as many of hte others here. Take it for what it's worth.

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Glidecam

The Slider

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery