New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Naples, Italy

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:24 AM

Hi there
I am new in this so sorry if I sound very unprofessional.
I am about to shoot a short film with Panasonic Varicam and have heard that is very good in 24p Cinegamma which looks very much like film especially with P+S Technik and 35mm lenses.
So now I also have heard that once on 24p you can play with shutter speed to achieve Ramping. My question is how can I achieve instead the effect Kaminsky achied in the opening sequence of Private Ryan? Can one change the angle of a digital Shutter? And Viceversa how would one achieve the look Chris Doyle reached in the opening sequence of Chang King Express?
Look forward to your answers
Thank You
Lucio

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

Yes. Shorter shutter speeds replicate the look of shorter shutter angles. Shooting 24P at 1/200 shutter speed would be similar to using a 45 degree shutter angle at 24 fps, ala "Saving Private Ryan" (45 degrees at 24 fps is 1/192 of a second).

Same for the blurred steppy motion in "Chungking Express" done by shooting at 6 or 8 fps and printing frames to get back to normal speed at 24 fps. Shoot on the Varicam at 6P or 8P, play it back as normal motion, not sped-up motion.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 18 December 2007 - 12:40 PM

You might run into issues with the Pro35 adaptor though, if you're going to try and play with the shutter speed. You'll probably fall out of sync with the Pro35's spinning groundglass, which will cause that really weird artifact in your image.

#4 Michael Nash

Michael Nash
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3330 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Pasadena, CA

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:06 PM

You might run into issues with the Pro35 adaptor though, if you're going to try and play with the shutter speed. You'll probably fall out of sync with the Pro35's spinning groundglass, which will cause that really weird artifact in your image.

Yes, you definitely need to test. You'll have the most problems with fast shutterspeeds, which might start to reveal some of the groundglass pattern.

Just my $.02, but I'll add once again that you really don't need a 35mm lens adapter with 2/3" chip cameras unless you really need a very shallow depth of field. Shoot with good HD lenses at low apertures and you'll make the most out of the image quality that the camera can deliver.

#5 Lucio Cremonese

Lucio Cremonese

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Naples, Italy

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yes, you definitely need to test. You'll have the most problems with fast shutterspeeds, which might start to reveal some of the groundglass pattern.

Just my $.02, but I'll add once again that you really don't need a 35mm lens adapter with 2/3" chip cameras unless you really need a very shallow depth of field. Shoot with good HD lenses at low apertures and you'll make the most out of the image quality that the camera can deliver.

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. They are all very enlightening. Definitely will test everything you guys said. Will let you know the final outcome

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Technodolly